scope help

walrus

Here is the deal. I have a heavy barell .308 with a Mueller 3-10 Tac II scope. I am reloading for it. My problem is that I have trouble being certain that I am holding in exactly the same place on the target @100yds when test shooting for accuracy.
I am thinking I need a higher power scope for this testing. 24x? I have been looking at Weaver T24 target and V24 varmit scopes with the duplex dot reticle. Any thoughts?

your right in thinking that the better scope with higher power will help with your groups. I use an older Leupold MK-4 in fixed 16x for my group testing at both 100 and 300yds. I think that the 16x is plenty for small groups at out to 500yds , I have used my new 8-32 Burris Black Diamond here lately though. I can bisect a 1/2" dot at 100yds with it and the crosshair just cover it at 300yds.
the only trouble with the higer power fixed scopes is that when it gets hot the mirage will kill your groups.

Experiment with different targets. eg; size, shape, color. You'll find the one that provides the most positive aiming point with the optics ya have. Even with a higher power I find that prefer one target over another.
Should help ya out, til ya get that new scope.

Try what Bearless suggests. Use a quarter inch or half inch square at 100yards and place it in the right upper quadrant of the cross hair so it just fits into the corner.

The other trick to use is to use a triangle as a target and try to hit one corner of it.

Big thick crosshairs or a big target lead to big groups. Easiest way to small groups is to use a small target so your aiming point is small. It will also make you humble because you will quickly find out what your shooting technique is worth.

Somewhere I had heard 24x was a good number. My current above mentioned scope is mil-dot and a little heavy for load testing I think. I usually test at 100yds as this is the size of my yard. I have been experimenting with targets as well. I usually use the 1" orange stickers with the small 3/8" center diamond. I have also tried hollow 1" diamonds with thick borders. I tried to line up the crosshairs with all 4 corners. I remember reading about mirage as well. If I get a variable I could back it down a little if it were a problem couldn't I? I already knew the aim small group small trick but maybe wasn't aiming small enough. Thanks for all the previous replies and tips.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts