Scope for my Savage Mark II FV 22LR

CleanShot

Hello

I just bought my first gun. I decided on a bolt action 22LR for practicing and went with a Savage Mark II specifically their FV model. This guy here Savage Arms.

As a newbie, I think I already took my first bath because I thought I could put some tech sights on it but it turns out the FV model doesn't come drilled/tapped nor with a front sight so tech sights are out of the question. Therefore, I'm thinking of mounting a scope instead.

I'm thinking maybe some rings and a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40mm or
Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40mm or Vortex Diamondback 3-9x40. I'm not sure if it's worth considering something less expensive since it's just a plinking and target practice rifle.

Any feedback on scopes and rings would get greatly appreciated!

Oh and do I need to have this thing drilled/tapped or will rings alone do the trick?

Thanks
Sam

PS I posted a similar thread in the optics forum but not sure which place is better for such answers. Forgive the repost.

Yea, all three of those scopes would do it nicely just pick the one you like best..

sounds like it's six in one half a dozen in the other. I found out the rifle has mounting rails so now I just need to search for which one I can get a decent price on. It seems they come in several models though so I'll have to research that first.

I have a sightron SIH tac 3x9x40 on the way for my 22 mag, it seemed to fit what I needed and at a very reasonable cost, lots of good reviews.....E

The Bushnell 10x mil/mill have great glass and track very well. A step up would be the Weaver Tactical 2-10x mil/mil for about $250. My wife has a ProStaff, and while it's not a bad entry level scope, I think the two mentioned above are much nicer than any of the others you are looking. I have the older non-mil/mil (moa) versions of the Bushnell Elite 10x and they are on all my .22 rifles. May change them up to the Weavers over time as mil knobs and mil reticle work so much better than having to do conversions, I'd even rather have moa/moa than mil/moa, but that all what you get used to and personal preference. I think 10x max is great for .22 as you don't get swept up in using magnification to make the shots.

Enjoy!

I really like having the higher magnification, I was shooting my 2" steel at 100 yards the other day and really liked the 25X. If all I did was chase tree rats I'd probably go with my 4.5-14 Mueller APT. I removed the Mueller and put on a Konus Pro 6.5-25 X 44, the extra magnification is nice but I think the Mueller is clearer at the same magnification. Both scopes will focus down to less than 10 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.