Scope for AR15/M4

Tater1985

I am kicking around the idea of having a buddy build me an AR15/M4 type rifle. This will be mostly for plinking and shooting coyotes and ground hogs. I will not shooting far, by LRH standards, but maybe out to 400-500 yards, with 95% shooting done at 200-300 yards. I'm looking for scope recommendations to fit these needs. I don't want to break the bank, so I will probably have to settle for less than Leupold or better quality. I would prefer the scope to be fairly short in overall length. Also the option to mount a red dot or holo sight atop of the scope would be a great feature. Thanks for any input.

Im in the same boat, I just bought a daniel defense. I've been wondering if i should go with a red dot or a 1-4x scope. There are some nice leupolds, i think the ar series, and some nice burris's. There are also some good nikons out there also. I still dont have my mind made up because there's so many choices. I have the front a post sight so i'd only be able to use 4x and up if i dont want to see the front sight. Im going to be looking at getting a quad rail or free float tube and a low profile gas port to get rid of the front sight.

What kind of upper are you looking at? Or is your friend going to do a complete custom build?

Thank you, i really like it. I cant make up my mind if i want to have it set up for hunting or home protection. How do you like your horus? Im a senior in highschool and looking at enlisting pretty soon in the reserves before i go to college. I might just keep iron sights on until I get out of basic and ait. I've looked at eotechs and aimpoints, i just need to decided how much i want to save for the right optic.

Thank you, i really like it. I cant make up my mind if i want to have it set up for hunting or home protection. How do you like your horus? Im a senior in highschool and looking at enlisting pretty soon in the reserves before i go to college. I might just keep iron sights on until I get out of basic and ait. I've looked at eotechs and aimpoints, i just need to decided how much i want to save for the right optic.

I love the scope

My 3-gun AR uses a Burris TAC 30, my Yote AR uses a Burris FF2 Ballistic plex they both work out well I shoot out to 400 Meters with both

for the same use as you posted, other than replacing prairie dogs with ground hogs, and not wanting to break the bank I bought a Bushnell Legend 5 x 15. Definitely not real high dollar but it works great. Has dots so I can do better at range, keep in on 5x for 90% of coyote shooting and put it up to 15X for 90% of prairie dog shooting.

There are better options but that's what worked for my budget.

You'll have fun with your AR!

I had a BSA red dot on my AR for about all of ten seconds. It would be great if you were looking at urban combat but crappy for any hunting purposes. I couldn't see the target well enough to get a consistent group. Stay away from that unless it has at least 4x magnification.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.