Scope dialing

Rum and not the liquid

I have a leupold m4 6.5x20x50, now my hunting partner has confused me with the way I should turn the knobs to adjust it left/right up/down. on the scope ther are arrows show right on the windage and up on the elv. Now are these as simply as I think they are (turning the knob right or up as shown on the scope is going to move the point of impact up or right) or are they opposite like my mate thinks they are? because there are some scopes that are different.

Sorry for the noob question Im going for my first hunt since my daughter was born and I don't wanna bugger it up

Lucas

The directions are on the scope!! I've shot a few that it would be opposite but they have been all been optics that adjust by moving the tube not the reticule like some Unertl or Lyman target scope. You may want to go to the range minus the friend and just shoot it and move the turrets to prove it to yourself!

They are just that simple. They "move" your bullets point of impact in the direction indicated. They actually align your sight picture with your rifle's bore.

He may have been telling you that you were actually moving the crosshairs in the opposite direction, which you are.

Try this someday; with the rifle in a solid rest (i.e. lead-sled or fixed platform) shoot your rifle at 100yds. Your point of aim (poa) is the dot in the center of the paper. Your point of impact (poi) is actually where your bullet landed on the paper. For this explanation lets say it landed 2" left and 2" high of the poa.
If you keep your crosshairs on the poa (the dot) and slowly turn your adjustment knob in the direction needed to align the poi and dot (in this case right and down) the crosshairs will actually "walk" out to the poi, and in effect go the opposite direction indicated on the knob.

This is the method used when "sighting in your rifle with two bullets". It may confuse you a little at first but when you wrap your mind around it and grasp the concept it all becomes a little clearer.

JohnnyK.

The directions are on the scope!! I've shot a few that it would be opposite but they have been all been optics that adjust by moving the tube not the reticule like some Unertl or Lyman target scope. You may want to go to the range minus the friend and just shoot it and move the turrets to prove it to yourself!

L:DL!

Ed

If you start dialing elevation turret, there will be marks on barrel of turret base, this is to help keep track of zero, make a mental not of this, or put a sticker on gun to remeber hash mark location at zero. This will come into play when dialing long range.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.