Dialing in the range

j870sm

OK, I am new to the long range game. I am comfortable out to 400+ yds with my current set up. I would not try to take an animal any farther than 400. I am shooting a 7mm Mag with Nikon scope.

I have a rifle chambered in 30-378 and feel confident in this gun being capable of much longer shots. I need a scope to put on it with the right bases.

My question is this: What is the best type of scope to get? I have seen ones with the circles, hashes etc. for elevation. I have only seen hashes for windage and I think this type of reticle is called a ballistic plex.

Next Question: On these scopes, is there a mark or "0" setting on the turrets that denotes your zero? IF not how do you know how to get back to your known "0"?

I am working on having a varmint rig put together but am still debating on caliber. Hunting in West Texas, rolling plane to extremely flat with long shots. Have been using 22-250 for yotes out to 300+ but am wanting something more. Any suggestions for a souped up varmint round? I am pretty well set on barrel, action, trigger and stock. Just need caliber and scope recommendations and my questions answered.

I have really enjoyed this site thus far. This seems like a friendly and fun place.
Thanks,
J

I have a Nikon Monarch 4-16x42 mil-dot. I will not try and answer the first question, but as far as the second question I can offer some insight.

Most, if not all medium to high dollar scopes will have MOA markings on the turrets. On many scopes you can reset the zero, meaning after you zero your scope at the range. Remove the coin slot screw, pull the turret off, line up the "0" on the turret with the zero hash mark and reinstall.

NightForce offers scopes that have "zero stop", meaning that you dial up for your yardage and just spin your turret down and stops at your zeroing point.

For scopes you can go three different routes.
1. Turret and dial up
2. Ballistic plex such as the Boone and Crockett or the ART
3. Mildot

It pretty much depends upon your hunting style and the type of shots you expect to get. A ballistic plex is fast but the range will be limited to about 500-600 yards. Dial up scopes are a little slower but you can dial up for the really long shots. Mildots are very flexible as long as you are very nimble minded and can do math quickly in your head.

The brand of scope depends somewhat upon your budget and there is a good article on the home page on economy scopes. A good middle of the road, high quality for the dollar is the Luepold V3 in Long Range target. If you wish to spend more then the Night Force is pretty much the gold standard

Finally, there is nothing wrong with a 7 Rem mag if it is accurate. Loaded with something like a 160 Nosler Accubond or a 180 Berger it should be adequate for any deer walking around in Texas out to close to 1000 yards. Shooting deer with a 30-378 at ranges under 1000 yards is just a waste of barrel steel and deer meat.

Thanks for the replies. I have actually looked at a nightforce scope and I thought it was fantastic. The salesman was very positive on this scope and for what you get I don't think it is much out of line on the price.

The 30-378 will not be used for deer hunting in Texas, only target shooting. However, I have some hunts planned where I will be using it to harvest big game. Actually, if I had it to do over again I mprobably wouldn't buy this rifle, it is an awful lot of gun.

I am a big fan of the 7mm mag. I just simply like the way it shoots and all of mine are extremely accurate with handloads. I am also very fond of the 7mmSTW. This is a very good shooter and it hits hard. I prefer this over the 7mm Wby mag.

if you handload ,a 22-243 or 22-6mm with fast twist barrell and heavier bullets may be good for your varmint rig.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts