Scope choices

I run the leupold 4-24 and like it a lot. Had a 3-18 which worked just fine. Getting older and my eyes following the magnification range on that optic work great. I shoot pretty consistently at 600 at 24 power. In the field I usually don't go past 20 and stay around 8-10 in the open country. 4 works just fine for the up close critters. Having 24 power also is great for identifying critters if they give you the time,…..

Unsure about your budget, but Leupold VX3HD 3-10 x50 Twilight Hunter Firedot reticle. About $800.00
Is that Canadian dollars. If not 800 for that scope is rape. And I've owned a pile of Leupolds. VX2, VX3,VX3i,VX3HD,VX5HD and MK4s. Hands down I was the most disappointed by the VX3HDs

SFP MOA based? If you want something halfway light the Trijicon Tenmile 3-18x50 is a nice scope but I think they discontinued it but they aren't real hard to find on the used market. They still make the Credo in SFP though and it's a nice scope.

If you don't care about weight the 4-16x50 Atacr is a great scope but it's chunky. A NXS 3-15 is about as bulletproof as scopes get but the glass isn't going to blow your mind and the big exposed windage turret isn't my favorite but they will kill critters from near to far just fine.

Edit- The Swaro X5 3-18 is a nice scope. I had one that took a beating and never lost zero or had any hiccups buuttt the other one I had wouldn't hold zero even being babied and took forever to get fixed (had to be sent back overseas) so that kinda soured me on the X series even though the first one was one of my favorite SFP scopes.
Good info!!! Thank you

Let me give you guys a little more info. This rifle will be shared between me and my 70 year old dad. It's mainly for him to use when he sits on the open side of the river bottom. The main purpose of this combo is to allow him to range points once he sits down and know where his limits are for shooting this particular rifle. MPB should be close to 400 with our load and 300 yard zero. So the scope will be SFP and moa reticule. I'm leaning towards illumination just as a precaution but if the light gathering is good enough to get us to legal light without needing it, I wouldn't spend the extra funds. All of this is stemming from him missing an opportunity at the biggest buck he has ever seen last season. He was carrying his 30-30 and it was just dark enough he couldn't find the deer in his range finder. He estimated 200-225 yards but was not going to take that shot with his 30-30. Thus the .257 wby and the yet undetermined scope.

I will aggravate a lot of people, but you mentioned 150yds, you do not need the high dollar optics, save majority of your money and look at an Arken 6-24 SHG2J. You will get Japanese glass and save a ton of money for other items.
This x 20^^^^ the distance and chosen range of scopes make no sense! Mind you ..... there's always the inheritance factor to consider.....hmmmm Tangent Theta?

Let me give you guys a little more info. This rifle will be shared between me and my 70 year old dad. It's mainly for him to use when he sits on the open side of the river bottom. The main purpose of this combo is to allow him to range points once he sits down and know where his limits are for shooting this particular rifle. MPB should be close to 400 with our load and 300 yard zero. So the scope will be SFP and moa reticule. I'm leaning towards illumination just as a precaution but if the light gathering is good enough to get us to legal light without needing it, I wouldn't spend the extra funds. All of this is stemming from him missing an opportunity at the biggest buck he has ever seen last season. He was carrying his 30-30 and it was just dark enough he couldn't find the deer in his range finder. He estimated 200-225 yards but was not going to take that shot with his 30-30. Thus the .257 wby and the yet undetermined scope.
Hands down Zeiss V4 4-16x50 Zmoa retical with illumination. Great glass, good low light. Tracks and I've put over 750 rounds on one dialing it from 100 to 1250 a lot. 200 rounds in a weekend. It's traveled thousands of mile last year in trucks and side by side in just a soft case. And is still holding zero.

Hands down Zeiss V4 4-16x50 Zmoa retical with illumination. Great glass, good low light. Tracks and I've put over 750 rounds on one dialing it from 100 to 1250 a lot. 200 rounds in a weekend. It's traveled thousands of mile last year in trucks and side by side in just a soft case. And is still holding zero.
Exactly the kind of info I'm looking for. Thank you

I recently put a Zeiss V4, 4-16 with the MOA reticle on my Weatherby Mark V Weathermark LT in 7mm Weatherby.
About the $700 range from Euro Optics. (They are fairly local to me).
Once i finally got the zero stop set up, I like it pretty well.

My Weatherby Mark V Ultra Lightweight in 257 Weatherby is wearing a Crimson Trace Hardline 4-12 with MOA reticle.
$400 range if I recall.

Glass is as good as the Ziess.
Controls silky smooth!
Surprisingly decent clicks when adjusting.
I highly recommend!!

Recent Posts