Scope bedding?

Do a little search we just had this discussion maybe 3 weeks ago. I glue the rail to the action with JBW and never look back. If I want it off just heat it and will release. Or you can put it in the freezer over night and whack it with a plastic hammer and it will pop off.

Check this out...

Good video, but Broz missed one thing or forgot to mention it.

He put a relief agent (paste wax) on the screws prior to adding epoxy. The wax in action holes would defeat the blue loctite and scope rail could loosen. When bedding a rail, I use same method, but I clean out action holes with a pipe cleaner wet with acetone.
A small thing like this can make a difference.

The wax in action holes would defeat the blue loctite and scope rail could loosen. When bedding a rail, I use same method, but I clean out action holes with a pipe cleaner wet with acetone.
A small thing like this can make a difference.

Yeah, that could be a potential disaster. Maybe that doesn't matter to him since he doesn't use a release agent between the rail and the action? 🤔

Keep the main thing, the main thing, the whole goal in bedding the rail is to keep it as flat as possible when fully torqued, whether an issue exists in the receiver or the rail being less than true doesn't really matter. Use a surface ground straight edge to check the rail before putting it on the receiver and you'll quickly know whether it's straight or not and if your straight edge is wide enough, lay the rail on it and make sure there are no twists in it's static state with no pressure applied. Usually on a Remington receiver the barrel end will be more true (or flat) than the tang end. Simply position the rail where it will go on the barrel end and apply finger pressure to see if it moves on any plane and repeat on the tang end, this simple check will generally tell you where the focus needs to be. Of course for those whom enjoy a major case of OCD one can go to extreme effort and expense to assure that the entire assembly is absolutely straight, square and true on every axis, those guys probably don't read this stuff anyway.

I've got a few rails that need bed. Christensen actions are not the straightest things out there. Ironically it's just like the one in Brozs video, maybe worse. Rifle shoots 1/2" groups at 200y so I don't really know if I want to mess with it.

I've got a few rails that need bed. Christensen actions are not the straightest things out there. Ironically it's just like the one in Brozs video, maybe worse. Rifle shoots 1/2" groups at 200y so I don't really know if I want to mess with it.
It's not going to hurt anything, if anything it will help. Bed it, if you know it's not straight its putting your scope in a bind.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.