Scope bedding to induce moa cant

Laguna Freak

A couple months ago I bought a pristine 2001 6 digit SN Model 70 Featherweight chambered in 300 WSM. I dont want to mount a rail for my VX3 6.5-20 x 40 (1" tube) because I just think a rail would be fugly on this rifle and with the way the receiver is machined 2 piece bases just fit and look better. I havent found any 20 moa 2 piece bases either. I've been thinking about inducing 20 moa cant in my Devcon 10110 base bedding. Rough numbers in my head says the cant requires about 0.030" shim at the rear of the rear base to induce 20 moa. cant. My thought is to bed the front base first while rear is shimmed, then let the scope hold the rear in position for bedding. Then bed the scope in the rings. Has anyone tried this? Ideas? Am I crazy to think I can get it right?

A couple months ago I bought a pristine 2001 6 digit SN Model 70 Featherweight chambered in 300 WSM. I dont want to mount a rail for my VX3 6.5-20 x 40 (1" tube) because I just think a rail would be fugly on this rifle and with the way the receiver is machined 2 piece bases just fit and look better. I havent found any 20 moa 2 piece bases either. I've been thinking about inducing 20 moa cant in my Devcon 10110 base bedding. Rough numbers in my head says the cant requires about 0.030" shim at the rear of the rear base to induce 20 moa. cant. My thought is to bed the front base first while rear is shimmed, then let the scope hold the rear in position for bedding. Then bed the scope in the rings. Has anyone tried this? Ideas? Am I crazy to think I can get it right?

No, but a few members have done it, @Alex Wheeler comes to mind. You might also want to consider ...

Last edited:
I too have used the Burris Signature rings with offset inserts for roughly 20 degree downward tilt of the objective lens. I've never had any evidence of the scope moving due to temperature change or recoil. The rifle is a very accurate .308 Rem 700 PSS, with a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14 scope. To me it is a great way to set up a scope for longer range shooting without spending a lot for 20 degree bases. -Ed

Just bed the rings at the same time using shim stock in the rear ring to get the m.o.a that you want, my 6.5x300wsm on my Ruger tanger I did that way and it worked great.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.