Scope Base Bedding

mhamlin

I'm mounting a Seekins base on a Remington 700 action. When I snug the front screws tight, the rear of the base does not quite touch the action. There is not a visible gap, but I can slide a piece of paper between the scope base and the action, with light friction. Should I bed the rear of the base, or should I just install it and move on?

Thanks, Mike

Something doesn't sound right. Are you sure it is the correct sight base for your rifle? Call the manuf. and make sure before you start with any kind of "filler".

In my experience this happens often with Remington 700 bases. The receiver dimensions vary a little bit in production. If you tighten the base screws as is, the rail will be bent and/or twisted. Then the rings will be guaranteed to be mis-aligned, leading to problems with the scope later on.

I would definitely take the time to bed the base. I have an assortment of brass shim material that I use to cut a tight-fitting shim when I'm in a hurry.

Thanks everyone.

LAELKHUNTER, it is the correct base. the info is etched/stamped on the underside of the base.

Thanks again Gentlemen!

Last edited:
Yep, very common. You can use JB weld which is available at your local hardware store and just bed the side that is high and use the front 2 screws to squish down/out the JB to the correct thickness. I'd watch a how to video or two before you start if you haven't done it before. I use Q-tips and WD40 for clean up while it's squishing out. I let it sit for 5-6 hours then take off and drill out the back 2 holes by hand with a appropriate drill bit size and then reattach for the remainder of the cure.

Release agent and masking tape are your friend. Put some putty, I have used silly putty and plumbers putty, inside the threaded scope base holes on the receiver that you will have to clean out later, but don't want any JB to get in those holes.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a rank amateur at this, I was able to pull it off using the techniques mentioned above except I used the quick set JB weld and neutral shoe polish as the release agent/hole filler. Was amazing simple and a great result. Keep plenty of Q-tips handy to cleanup the residual that squeezes out (& WD-40 as mentioned above).

z

Thanks everyone.

LAELKHUNTER, it is the correct base. the info is etched/stamped on the underside of the base.

Thanks again Gentlemen!

Sorry mhamlin, I didn't mean to imply anything. Just that I am not real experienced with all of this stuff, and it didn't seem right that a scope base would not fit the rifle it is designed for.
From the other replies, it seems like some filler will be the normal remedy to fix the problem. Good luck !!

Sorry mhamlin, I didn't mean to imply anything. Just that I am not real experienced with all of this stuff, and it didn't seem right that a scope base would not fit the rifle it is designed for.
From the other replies, it seems like some filler will be the normal remedy to fix the problem. Good luck !!
No offense taken and I certainly didn't want my response to "come-off" like your question was offensive!

Mike

I also use JB Weld to bed scope bases with a small modification of the above linked video. I bed both front and back of the scope base, but torque the front action screws down tight. The JB then ensures I get complete contact with the action to scope base. I've done a few this way and there is always more JB in the front than I figured there should be which I figure is due to inconsistencies between the action and scope base manufacturers.

After the JB has fully cured, and all excess trimmed up, I will also put some blue Loctite on the base screws as well as between the scope base and action. I'm basically using a low grade adhesive to give the base a little extra stick to the action. I have no idea if this helps or not, but it sure doesn't hurt anything. The Loctite is pretty thin and spreads out well, so no extra gaps or stress when tightening down the screws.

Geb

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts