School me on how to evaluate the quality of rifle scope glass

@jd126 preaching to the choir man. Unless it's some super low quality, NC star, Barska, or Truglo I can't tell glass quality either. I've given up on looking for "quality glass" and am more concerned with ability to hold zero, track true, return to zero, true parallax, and loud/positive/tactile clicks. That glass quality stuff is like asking "what's the best cartridge?"

Thanks for the tips and articles. I have some home work to to do and some hands on in the field to learn what I'm looking at and looking for.

If your scope cost less than your rifle, you probably made an error.

So my current build is a Bighorn SR3, Proof Carbon Fiber Barrel, Manners Elite Hunter stock, TriggerTech Diamond, Hawkins Bottom Metal with a Wyatt's box. Scope is in Seekins Rings.

So your opinion is if I run that Vortex Razor AMG on top I made an error in my build? ...Even a Leupold VX-6HD would be an error

So my current build is a Bighorn SR3, Proof Carbon Fiber Barrel, Manners Elite Hunter stock, TriggerTech Diamond, Hawkins Bottom Metal with a Wyatt's box. Scope is in Seekins Rings.

So your opinion is if I run that Vortex Razor AMG on top I made an error in my build? ...Even a Leupold VX-6HD would be an error

yeah it's crap...better run a $7000 hensoldt or get rid of that stupid rifle, get a $1500 one so your vortex AMG meets the 2x criteria. :rolleyes:

Some good advice on here already. Things to add to that:
Adjustable optic or side focus for minimizing parallax.
I once bought quite an expensive 3-15x Minox scope with no AO or side focus and it would not group worth a **** at 100 yards because it had an awful parallax problem. Fortunately I was able to return it and get my first Vortex PST scope, huge improvement.

Check the eye relief and how forgiving it is. If you have to have your eye in a very exact position to see through the scope or to follow through on your shot, it will frustrated you. I recall always having Nikon Monarch scopes and usually when I fired I would always lose sight of the target, even on a 223 bolt gun. I remember vividly the first pair of coyotes I shot with my 243 with the same 4-16 Vortex PST scope and seeing the coyotes fold in the scope. Such a different experience with a different scope.