School me on FOV for Spotters

catorres1

I have been looking for a good spotter for some time, but have a problem in that I wear glasses, and need them when using a spotter. I have fairly deepset eyes, so eye relief is a real problem for me. The options that work are another story made more difficult in that I want something at least moderately light, but note that Athlon is releasing their Cronus tactical 60mm, and it has 30mm of eye relief, just like the Leupold Gold Ring. I have not looked through a Gold Ring in a long time, but remember the glass being distinctly unimpressive compared to, say, a meopta or even a Razor. But the eye relief and weight are great. Unfortunately, I cannot find one locally to look at to refresh my memory.

The thing I notice is the FOV for the LGR and the Athlon is VERY small compared to shorter eye relief scopes....48 feet at 42 power and 1000 yards....verses something like 132 feet for a 65mm razor IIRC. BTW, the LGR is 52 feet.

Not sure what I think about this because I cannot envision how it will actually look. Does that mean the image circle for the athlon would be about 1/3 the size of the razor? I cannot imagine this is the case, but that is the only way I can imagine it working. In that case, it would seem like the view would be like looking through a pinhole!

Interested in thoughts on this. If that is true, then it would in fact be better for me to pick up something else, even if I cannot get a full image circle, because even if I lose half of the image due to eye relief, I am still doing better.

Thanks!

Hi,

Field of view is the side-to-side measurement of the circular viewing field or subject area. It is defined by the width in feet or meters of the area visible at 1000 yards or meters. A wide field of view is better for following fast-moving action or scanning for wildlife.

Sincerely,
THEIS

Thanks for the reply! So let me ask this basic question. Lets say that one scope has a FOV at 1000 yards of 50 feet and another has an FOV of 150 feet, both are 45x. Does that mean that to my eye the image circle of the the one with 150 feet will be three times the diameter of the one with a 50 foot FOV?

To put it another way, if I hold my hand out in front of me at arms length, it will be 'so' wide. If that corresponds to the 50 ft FOV, then would the 150 be basically 3 hands wide?

The problem I have is that almost every scope I look through, I lose the edges of the image circle due to eye relief, so I am looking at some with higher eye relief, but they have a much lower FOV...like 1/3 or even 1/4, which makes me think what I see with my eye will be a very small circle and I would do better living with losing a good part of the circle with some of the other scopes as their FOV is so much wider.

So
Hi,

Field of view is the side-to-side measurement of the circular viewing field or subject area. It is defined by the width in feet or meters of the area visible at 1000 yards or meters. A wide field of view is better for following fast-moving action or scanning for wildlife.

Sincerely,
THEIS

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.