School Deer Day

ARCaveman

Hey guys, just curious. Do any if your schools still have "Deer Day"? Our school here in Arkansas is always closed the opening Monday of gun season. (There'd be so many kids absent anyway they might as well close) It's always a way to keep kids from vandalizing the school on Halloween too bc if they do then the whole school loses it. Anyway, just curious if any schools out there still carry on this tradition?

When I grew up in Norther WI we got the days off for the opener of gun deer season. Now that is not the case. Living in southern part of the state now our current school district does not like to give excused absences for hunting. I took my daughter out of school for a week to go hunt in WY. She told her teachers it was for a wildlife conservation project and they were all good with it. Only one of her teachers caught on it was for hunting. They all figured it out when she came back and shared the hunting stories however.

Not officially recognized but my kids always seem to be absent for the youth opener. I either let them lay out of school that day or go check them out of school. Some of the best education is outside a classroom

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.