Opening Day Deer Rifle in Kentucky

Oh nice boom stick and buck! I have a 9.3X62 in a CZ 550 full stock. Can't use it on deer in my state. How was the performance in regards to bullet entry/exit/expansion?

Oh nice boom stick and buck! I have a 9.3X62 in a CZ 550 full stock. Can't use it on deer in my state. How was the performance in regards to bullet entry/exit/expansion?
Shot was through left shoulder and busted it, couple ribs broken going in, through the heart and out behind offside shoulder. I really like this cartridge. Only have 2 kills with it, both being whitetails. I'll post a pic of the GECO round later today. I missed out on a CZ a couple years ago but happy with the Ruger I have.

Attachments

• IMG_20211114_100835.jpg
    IMG_20211114_100835.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 80
Bracken County, which is northern KY. Really quiet day, the only whitetail I saw was at 8 am but a good one for this area. He came trotting thru nose down and with a purpose. I picked the Ruger M77 Hawkeye African in 9.3x62mm for today, GECO 255 gr soft point (Teilmantel) for load. Single shot in the shoulder broadside and he ran downhill to a creek bottom before dropping. Outside spread was 22". Tomorrow will be a Ruger No. 1 in 6.5x55 for a doe, or even better a coyote. Pretty good day for me.View attachment 311620View attachment 311621
That is a beautiful buck! Did you get a complete pass through with that big bullet?

Shot was through left shoulder and busted it, couple ribs broken going in, through the heart and out behind offside shoulder. I really like this cartridge. Only have 2 kills with it, both being whitetails. I'll post a pic of the GECO round later today. I missed out on a CZ a couple years ago but happy with the Ruger I have.
Yeah that Ruger is sweet and stout gun. The 9.3X62 is such an easy cartridge to load. Varget range powders have produced very accurate results.

I had an Oberndorf Mauser in 9.3x62. Beautiful rifle made in the early thirties. Decided I didn't much like the recoil, so sold it to someone who didn't mind recoil as much so did. Kicked myself ever since.

Yeah that Ruger is sweet and stout gun. The 9.3X62 is such an easy cartridge to load. Varget range powders have produced very accurate results.
I bought a number of factory rounds when I first got this rifle (Summer 2019?) and have plenty to use BUT have purchased the 240 gr Hammer Hunter to try when I begin reloading the 9.3x62.
@BFD Guns what's your favorite load? I also have 250 gr Nosler Accubond that I want to try eventually.

Bracken County, which is northern KY. Really quiet day, the only whitetail I saw was at 8 am but a good one for this area. He came trotting thru nose down and with a purpose. I picked the Ruger M77 Hawkeye African in 9.3x62mm for today, GECO 255 gr soft point (Teilmantel) for load. Single shot in the shoulder broadside and he ran downhill to a creek bottom before dropping. Outside spread was 22". Tomorrow will be a Ruger No. 1 in 6.5x55 for a doe, or even better a coyote. Pretty good day for me.View attachment 311620View attachment 311621
Nice buck , I hunt in Boone County. I've seen alot of deer but nothing that big. Congratulations

I bought a number of factory rounds when I first got this rifle (Summer 2019?) and have plenty to use BUT have purchased the 240 gr Hammer Hunter to try when I begin reloading the 9.3x62.
@BFD Guns what's your favorite load? I also have 250 gr Nosler Accubond that I want to try eventually.
20.5" barrel

250gr NAB 2550fps (Favorite)
286gr Hornady SP 2390fps
285gr PPU RN 2390fps

I had an Oberndorf Mauser in 9.3x62. Beautiful rifle made in the early thirties. Decided I didn't much like the recoil, so sold it to someone who didn't mind recoil as much so did. Kicked myself ever since.
The round got some punch! Don't want your tongue between your teeth! Lol