Scale trouble

Did you trash the original one or still have it? I could take that off your hands if it's not been damaged.

Depending on how your Lyman is built, grains of powder near the pan/sensor interface can cause drift like this. If you can blow it out, that may help. My Hornady scale drifts very little and the cal has been rock solid.

What I have for my balance (it is a digital analytical balance), it is connected to a UPS power supply, that provides clean power to my routers, printers, etc. You can get one of these for about $60-$70.00 from a Office Depot, Staples or Amazon.

I run the FX120i. It came with a line conditioner. loading area is climate controlled. All components stored in climate controlled area. The scale sits on a shelf mounted to the wall behind the bench. Power is run through the battery side of an Uninterrupted power supply (UPS), to protect from surges. no other electronics near by, use LED lighting (ceiling mounted), and never turn it off.
Re-calibrate once in a while, using precision weights, with the powder pan in place. I regularly check against my beam scale, and is very rarely off.
All this said, I am finding that if I have a reasonable node, and account for temperature change, velocity does not fluctuate much (if at all), even with .1-.2gr variation. Additionally, if the cartridge is tuned to the rile, the point of impact does not measurably move, even at distance.
that's my $0.02..

I have a micro touch 1500. Wether your looking at the weight of the pan or the negative tare weight with the pan removed it still drifts. Temperature will affect these scales more than Electrical interference I believe.
So will an overhead fan if you have one blowing anywhere near your loading bench, or an open window with the slightest breeze.

I ordered an A&E EJ120 it arrived today so after reading to owners manual it didn't say anything about electrical interference so I called and spoke to one of their techs and he confirmed not to worry about that or phones but he did mention air currents and sure enough if you just blow a little it will move so I'll reload some later and let y'all know how it goes and the price was pretty good under $150

This is getting' to be a redundant issue. So......the faster a processor is, the more susceptible it is to power fluctuations, surges.

For that reason, I started using a APC battery backup with my electric scale/dispenser (PACT) when I bought it way back when. It eliminated having to recalibrate every time the furnace kicked on. Now days , an inline voltage regulator is the go to unit, ( again APC makes one).

Another trick is to use a bulls eye level (Starrett) on the platen to level the electronic scale on initial setup.

I have found quite regularly
I have been having trouble with my Lyman accu touch 2000 drifts bad so I bought a Frankford Arsenal platinum series. Set it up but couldn't get it to read 23 grains it would go 22.9 or 23.1 called the dealer they asked for the manufacture date it was
5/5/2020 they asked if I could send a short video of the problem. I did they said and did send me another one was told to just scrap the first one. Well the new one did the exact same thing they asked if I would send back the one the other I sent back for a refund $100 bucks. Is it worth trying for strike three ? I ordered a A&D EJ-120 has anyone used the A&E and will a fluorescent light screw up the accu Touch ? If so would a led light cause problems am at wits end thanks for any help
I have found quite regularly that different powders won't weigh consistently due to the grain sizes. I always set my scale for generally 0.2 grains below and finish with a trickle charger for exact measurements...a tad slower but deadly accurate.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.