Saw for cutting down brass??

Do you own a band saw with a fence that stays true?

Negative

I use a Harbor Freight mini chop saw to make 30 and 357 Herrett cases from 30/30 brass. I used a short piece of angle aluminum and a fine threaded bolt with a couple Nyloc nuts to make an adjustable jig. I drop the case in the V-notch and slide it against the bolt head,then cut. The whole works is mounted on a piece of 1x12. You can buy replacement blades from Amazon,the original won't last too long and you wind up using too much pressure and slowing down the saw. This will kill the motor,so keep a good blade and be gentle.

Excellent!!

Thanks everyone! Lots of good replies here guys. I never thought about using a drill press... The link to the mini chop saw was just the one I was hearing about. I like the V-block/adjustable bolt idea for a fixture. Good stuff

I knew I would get good info here. Much appreciated

I use a Dremel bench attachment I bought direct from Dremel, it is essentially like a drop saw.
It also came with a plunge drilling attachment, just like a mini drill press.

Cheers.

I use a Harbor Freight mini chop saw to make 30 and 357 Herrett cases from 30/30 brass. I used a short piece of angle aluminum and a fine threaded bolt with a couple Nyloc nuts to make an adjustable jig. I drop the case in the V-notch and slide it against the bolt head,then cut. The whole works is mounted on a piece of 1x12. You can buy replacement blades from Amazon,the original won't last too long and you wind up using too much pressure and slowing down the saw. This will kill the motor,so keep a good blade and be gentle.

Pictures of your setup....

I haven't learned to post up pictures yet,see if this works.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 83
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.