necking down brass

I have purchased 6.5 Grendel Basic brass to size down to 6mmARC. The "basic" brass is close to the right length and has the proper rim diameter, etc. "Basic" also means the case is straight walled and needs to have a shoulder and neck formed. Problem: the straight walled case is nearly .40 in diameter. Question: what does one use to step down from a neck dia. of .40 to .274? Simple answer: not a 6mmARC die, LOL!!

So my real question is how do I get from .40 dia. to .274 in increments small enough to not squash my cases? Because the case is so short I can't use any other cartridges with neck sizes in between unless I bought every WSM sizing die from .30 thru .25 !!??

HELP! :oops:
In the same boat but I did buy everything in between. Went from .416 Ruger to 300 PRC. The process I used was 416 Ruger to 375 Ruger annealed, then 375 Ruger to 338 RCM, took some time setting up the right height due to the RCM is a compact magnum annealed and finally 300 PRC. Go slow and with the added annealing it's hard slow work. Don't over lube. I only lost three pieces of brass.

Attachments

• CDDA11BB-7425-40E7-B3B9-5DA1A3C41E4D.jpeg
    CDDA11BB-7425-40E7-B3B9-5DA1A3C41E4D.jpeg
    634.8 KB · Views: 86
  • D99C4D52-1FA2-4E34-A8B8-3D9D3FC43097.jpeg
    D99C4D52-1FA2-4E34-A8B8-3D9D3FC43097.jpeg
    569.8 KB · Views: 84
I'd also like to make 6MM ARC from Grendel brass.
Could I just buy another 6MM ARC full length sizing die and open up the neck .25mm to use an in intermediate sizing die? Or should I use a 6mm neck sizing die and open it up as an intermediate die?

I have a lathe and can modify dies if necessary.

How do I contact Bullberry?

The nice thing about bullberrys dies once you have them you can neck down any brass if you have the caliber specific one.
I have 3 double ended ones to go down from 30 cal all the way to 17

I'm awaiting the arrival of my Bartlein 6mm ARC barrel and have been following this thread in anticipation of forming 6mm ARC brass from 6.5 Grendel brass.

Out of curiosity, tonight I tried forming a Honardy 6.5 Grendel case with a Lee 6mm ARC full length sizing die on a MEC press with Lee's sizing lube. I removed the expander from the die and cleaned the fouling off the neck of the brass with steel wool before resizing.

The brass case sized down with NO deformation.
I over sized it by pushing the neck back as much as .035" and still no collapsed areas on the case.
Then I resized a new Starline brass pushing the shoulder back .020".

Photo shows: fired Honardy 6.5 G brass - resized fired Honardy brass - resized new Starline brass
20210224_231628.jpg

If this continues to work for me, I'll sand the neck portion of the full length sizing die (on a lathe) to open up the neck to the ideal size for 6mm bullets so I won't need to use the expander.
First I need to receive my barrel so I can push the shoulders back to fit my barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.