Savage Straight-Pull Rifle

KSAv8r

Seeing a lot of stuff in the media about Savage's new American made Straight-Pull rifle. Has anyone on the forum been able to get their hands on one? If so, how about posting your experience with it (both pros and what needs a little improvement)?

No. But I'd want to have a really good look at the lock up mechanism. Don't want to end up with a Blaser R93 issue.

They have an aluminum receiver and the barrel isn't threaded to the action but rather clamped to the receiver after threading an extension sleeve on to the tenon. I have a Savage, and I have no problems with factory rifles in general, but there's nothing on this thing that would make me touch it. With an MSRP of $1,379 and a street price of $1,196 for the Hog Hunter version (lowest of three tiers) right now on Buds, it's not cheap enough to try the gimmick.

I look at the arguments for straight pulls as an extension of the short action vs long action argument. It's "faster" because you don't rotate the bolt, just like a short action is faster because you pull it 1/2" less back. Let's be honest, the majority of shooters aren't running a long action, short action, straight pull, or lever action without breaking cheekweld before the follow up shot, so it's like arguing with performance spark plug to put in your Vespa. If you truly need such a fast follow up shot than a straight pull is faster then a short action, then there are multiple forms of semi-auto actions that are being built to very high accuracy standards.

Recent Posts