Straight pull rifles. Accurate enough?

Brian564

What do you think of the modern straight pull bolt action rifles in terms of accuracy and service life? Would these have the potential to be as accurate long distance shooters as the regular bolt actions? Thank you

What do you think of the modern straight pull bolt action rifles in terms of accuracy and service life? Would these have the potential to be as accurate long distance shooters as the regular bolt actions? Thank you

Just my opinion, but I think they are fine if set up correctly and if they have a rotating bolt face and use some of the smaller cartridges.

The problem with using them for the more powerful cartridges is the lack of cam power when opening the bolt to break the case lose.

The conventional bolt action has proven to be very accurate and dependable And would be my recommendation for long range, powerful and accurate use.

J E CUSTOM

Not all straight pulls are rotating bolt, some are collet.

The Swiss Rifle in 7.5x55 is awesome. A friend has 2 he got in the way back time. Rotating bolt.

Swiss, accurate enough, oh yeah. A German officer was visiting a Swiss village with 1,000 men equipped with Swiss Rifles. The officer asked the mayor what they would do if 10,000 German soldiers came over the hill to attack the village and the Swiss had only 10 rounds of 7.5x55 for each man. The mayor was contemplative for a moment, then replied: Ve Vould shoot our rifles den go home for dinner. The Germans did no attack Switzerland.

The Blaser has lots of very nice features. I almost went for one. I may some day. Available in some very big chamberings. Collet. Blaser, accurate enough, TV presenters use it. Never seen long range on TV though.

The Anschutz 1727F. I want one but in 22. The Biathalon shooters use the "F" strait pull actions. Collet. Anschuts "F", accurate enough, yes.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.