Savage/Stevens

coonhunter

I am new to this forum and I have learned a lot from here. All of the talk about these Savage actions has me interested in building one. I was wanting to know what calibers will fit in them? Will the ultra mags, What about the Lapua based rounds. I am not interested if they will feed from the magizine just as long as the action will eject a loaded round. thanks

A long action will eject pretty much everything. A short action will eject a RUM length round (at least mine will)

I don't believe you can build a Lapua on them, due to the diameter.

AJ

The RUM length actions will work, a smith can make a LA into a rum and fit it for Lapua but the answer is to go to 338 Edge. Faster and safer than the Lapua and the bolt head doesn't need major modifications. I will be making a .338 lapua out of a LA Stevens as soon as the reamer shows up.
Go for the .338 EDGE.

Cheers

338 RUM vs Edge

I'm kind of curious why the 338 RUM that Savage makes and sells cant shoot as good as the 338 Edge. Kinda hard to believe the RUM with some VLD bullets and tweaked loads wouldnt be the same as the Edge. Savage's RUM comes with a 26" bbl and can be bought in LH model :).

The 338RUM is a great round, but it's shorter than the 300RUM that the Edge is based on. Its just a matter of powder capacity.

AJ

Thanks for the replys. I like the ballistics on the edge. I would be easier, and cheaper to get bras for too.

PEI Rob, are you using the barrel nut, and if so are you concerned with the nut cracking under high intensity loads?

I won't be using the barrel nut, never do if I chamber a new barrel. This action will be a large shank when I'm done.

Cheers,
Rob

I'm kind of curious why the 338 RUM that Savage makes and sells cant shoot as good as the 338 Edge. Kinda hard to believe the RUM with some VLD bullets and tweaked loads wouldnt be the same as the Edge. Savage's RUM comes with a 26" bbl and can be bought in LH model :).

Nothing wrong with the Savage 338 RUM at all but they are hard to find. If one were to make a big .338, it may as well be the edge.

Cheers,
Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.