Savage scope mounts.

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Scott E, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Scott E

Scott E Member

I recently bought a new Savage 110 FP tatical rifle in 7Mag. I'm having a hard time finding bases to mount my scope with. I tried a leupold one piece no good Weaver type no good. I've had to settle for a Leupold 2 piece which I do not like. Where and what type should I get? Keep in mind this is my first attempt at a long range rifle. Thanks for your help.
    Scott

2. p dog shooter

p dog shooter Well-Known Member

What is wrong with leupold and the weavers I have both types on my savgae rifles and they work out. I find that with most savages I had to slim the back scope mount to get the proper elevation.

3. Scott E

Scott E Member

The Leupold was to short The one I had was the standard 110 one piece base. When i went back today I took the one piece up to the gun counter to try it on a regular 110 rifle and it didn't fit it either. The Weaver the Bass Pro only had the 2 piece bases. I may be doing something wrong but I have a one piece on my Weatherby.

4. p dog shooter

p dog shooter Well-Known Member

Why don't you ask them to find one the fits if they have savages at the store they should be able to do that. It woulnd't be the first time the wrong mount got into the wrong package.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Try www.kenfarrell.com
    They list a one piece weaver style base for Savages. I'm going to try on on my 10FP.
    Wayne

6. skidlyman

skidlyman Well-Known Member

I didn't realize they sold the 110 tactical in a 7mm, thought only 223, 308 and 300wm. I want one in a 300rum myself looks like a great firearm

7. Scott E

Scott E Member

It is the law enforcement models 110FP in 25-06, 30-06, 300 and 7mm. I'm still trying to get set up my intentions are to try and shoot in a 1000 yard match this year. I'm a novice at long range comp I've hunted and shot for years. I would like to stay as basic as possible to shoot in the factory class until the bug bites me all the way. Now I just want a one piece base and solid rings. Will 15MOA get me to a 1000 yards or will I need 20MOA with a Simmons Aetec 6x20x44?

8. skidlyman

skidlyman Well-Known Member

first of all whats your total available elevation? If you want to be able to get on target at both 100yds & 1000 yds, You will need a scope with plenty of adjustment. A good rule on sloped bases. Get a sloped base that is slightly less than 1/2 of your total usable elevation. To shoot 1000yds it will probably take near 30moa if your zero is 100yds. Check with Midsouth Shooters supply, they have a ring setup with 25moa slope built in. Made by Mamba http://mamba-products.com

[ 02-10-2004: Message edited by: Skidly ]

[ 02-10-2004: Message edited by: Skidly ]

9. huntin1

huntin1 Well-Known Member

Scott E.

For Savage parts at a good price try these guys: http://www.savageshooters.com/sharpshooters/
    I just ordered a Farrel base from them for my new 10FP 308 cost was $46.75 including shipping. They will have a Farrel base to fit your rifle, and anything else you may need for your Savage.

huntin1

10. Scott E

Scott E Member

Huntin1 and everyone else thanks for the info.
    Scott