savage rebarrel

pat86004

I'm playing with the idea of rebarreling a savage model 11 that I have to something else. I have another 223 and don't see the need to have 2. Does anyone have a link to a list of cartridges that I can rebarrel to using the same bolt head? I'm also curious about magazines, let's say I did end uprebarreling to something that uses a different head like 22-250. Obviously I'll need to change the mag but will I need to make any alterations to the magwell or anything.

Thanks, so if I wanted to go to a bigger cartridge in a short action, I'd just swap the bolt head and magazine? Will all short action magazines fit the stock/receiver or is there more work to do?

Contact savage directly and sign a liability waver saying that you do not hold them reliable and you can get a new bolt head for 20.00. Or you can go to midway and replace the bolt with a factory bolt for 109.00.

Easy to change the barrel yourself. You need a barrelnut wrench , go nogo gauges and a strong vise or an action wrench.

Bolt heads are easy to change too. Lots of help with this on YouTube

I've got some time to think about this one, I've got several other "projects" to tackle first. Number one being a new scope for another rifle. I'll be doing a lot of research on cartridge before I proceed.

Barrel and bolt head swaps are easy on the Savages. You can get the bolt heads thru midway for $25 or so. Getting the bolt head off the bolt body is easy. But when you remove/install the extractor and ejector do it in a large ziplock bag. I've had to chase too many springs and balls down and it's always been on carpet.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.