Savage Model 12 LRP 260

MHO

Anyone have this gun and whats been your experience with it. Ive been eye balling one at the local gun shop thats screaming for me to buy. Any input appreciated.

I have a LRP in 260 Rem. It's a very well put together, and accurate rifle. This is my fourth Savage and probably the nicest. Fit and finish is excellent and the barrel behaves like my customs. It took less than a dozen rounds to break it in. It cleans up quickly and has very little copper fouling. Best of all it shoots 140 Amax, 140 BergerVLD's, or 142SMK''s, all .25-.5 MOA, 5 shots at 200 yards. The throat is 2.911" COAL to the lands with Berger140VLDs, which will allow +46gr. of H4831sc compressed which is the sweet spot for this round. Loaded with this round, the cartridges fit the clip with room to spare and feed perfectly. Headspace is .001" longer than new Lapua brass. The trigger, stock, and bedding was perfect. I just torqued the bedding screws to 40 in/pounds which is important, no more, no less. Out of the box, the trigger was 1.25# and broke perfectly, and had no variation. I set it at 2,5# to match my hunting rigs. My final accuracy load is 45.8gr of H4831sc, Fed210M, 142SMK seated .025" off the lands(mainly because I have a lot of these bullets and powder on hand). This load gives pretty consistent .3MOA, 5 shot groups at 200 yards. Mounted a NF 32x Benchrest, Mk4 rings, and Ken Farrel 2pc bases on it. I will use it for 300 yard egg shoots and other competitive events this season. I don't think I could do a whole lot, if any better with a custom for what I will use it for. It's a real bargain!

I had opposite experience with 12 LRP in 260...
crown1.jpg

Savage acknowledged it they couldn't shoot it either and scraped its barrel... My recommendations, buy Savage action, then stock of your choice and CBI or Shilen barrel. Also target accutriger got to many issues, I would recommend replacing it as soon as possible.

Have a friend buy one this winter , took it to our monthly [feb 2012] steel shoot,[200 thru 1000yds] double his score from the last 2 yrs, the first time out with it and finished in the top 5 out of 56 shooters.His works !!!

I guess that's my luck, I got on the waiting list March last year and got it in April, I was surprised, because I was told it will take 2 - 3 month, but the dealer called me and offered me that piece. I guess some one back-out on it and I was there waiting for that lemon...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.