Savage Model 12 .223 - What optics?

jdk81

I received this gun in a lot from a family member I traded something for. This rifle has never been shot, and is bare. It is the SS varmint model. I have heard good things about these rifles, and I want to make it into a shooter. I plan on getting a 1 piece base, as well as good rings and mounting them with my scope mounting kit.

One minor dilemma, I need to get a scope! I am also on a budget. I would like to keep the scope around $200. I am thinking about the Nikon P-223. Looks to be a quality scope, is in my price range, and looks like what I am looking for.

I want something with decent magnification, something with at least a 40mm objective, and will hold its zero well. It will not be getting a ton of use. It'll be used occasionally for longer range target shooting ~500 yards?, and possibly coyote hunting, although my cheaper truck gun get's used for that more often.

What do you guys think of this scope? Do you have experience with something better but still in my price range?

THANKS!

I have 2 6-18x40 Buckmasters. One is on my Model 12 .22-250 it is an excellent scope. Zero issues with either one and they have been used plenty, repeatable everytime. They are around $350.00

Sign up for sites like midwayusa and natchezss for email updates. This time of year they have been sending out deals on scopes that are up to $150 off. Also... Check bushnell and Nikon for rebates because they are also known to have good incentives towards end of year to get their yearly numbers up.

Both Nikon, bushnell, and weaver make some decent glass in the $300+ range and if you can get a discount... That might put one of these scopes in your budget. I tend to prefer bushnell elite glass... Especially the 3200 and 4200s, but a lot of it is whatever looks good to your eyes. Go to some sports shops and see what your eyes prefer... And then start looking for deals!

Good luck... And remember that it's better to get decent glass now... Versus having to replace shoddy glass later. Get as good of glass as you can possibly afford... And sell something that you don't need and take that extra money and use it towards your scope. You'll be glad you did when you start shooting at distance. Don't be afraid of checking for a decent used scope... From here in our classifieds or via ebay... Sometimes you can get a great deal on someone who wants to upgrade to even better glass.

Good luck man!

The Bushnell Elites to have clear glass, but my eyes have not seen a difference between them and the Nikon Buckmasters. With that being said Natchez has the Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40 for $199.99.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.