Savage model 10FCP-HS Precision in 308

how do you check / set the headspace? What is the load / bullet combo you are using? (if you dont mind telling me)

No problem. I used the the sierra reloading manual and use 43.5 grains of varget with 168 grain sierra match kings. To check headspacing you can buy an rcbs precision mic, or what I did is just load three rounds at one c.o.a.l. measurement, then another three at a different coal, and so on. Then just go with the grouping that grouped tightest. I found I had the best results at 2.750; the sierra manual suggets 2.800 and most match ammo I have measured is 2.800. The further over 2.800 I went, the more my groups opened up.

how do you check / set the headspace? What is the load / bullet combo you are using? (if you dont mind telling me)

As far as getting the headspace on a Savage to the minimum, You can also take the barrel loose by removing the nut and unscrewing the barrel part way. Then adjust the barrel back down on a piece of brass sized in your dies (dont crush it , just snug it) and re tighten the barrel nut. Check with a no go gauge (I use the sized brass with a piece of shim stock) and you're ready to shoot. The ammo you shoot from this point on may have to be handloads sized in your dies but the headspace will be perfect for those rounds.

Just a tip from a lover of the barrel nut :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.