Savage Magnum Target base and rings suggestions?

redneckdan

Hi all!

Long time listener, first time caller. Anyway, the LR bug has been eatin at me for a while so I picked up a savage magnum target in 338 lapua. Got a 16x SWFA in bound. Need to start looking at base and rings. Looking for a base with 20-30 MOA and 30mm rings to fit the 16x. I'll have my paws on the glass by this weekend and I can get some height measurements. I'd like to add some weight to this thing, so I'm looking for steel scope base and rings rather than aluminum. Any suggestions? I've searched a bit and haven't found what I am looking for.

Ordered up a GForce base. Went with 40 moa. Figure I can bed the front off the rear two screws which will tip it up a mite. I'll order rings after I have scope in hand and can measure for clearance. This stick won't much come out of the case for less then 500 yards. I have 600yds available at my house and +2000 across the road. Going out west a couple times this summer, should have some oportunities to exersize it.

Farrell base arrived. Mount measures .453 from low end to reciever. Using 50mm for OD estimate on the 16x 42 and ignoring base taper and barrel step down Farrell low rings give .18 barrel clearance and STD give .25 clearance. I like a scope to be as low as possible. STDs seem like a sure thing as far as clearance, but the lows are tempting. Think they will clear?

As far as clearance, have you taken into consideration your scope covers and their thickness as well as your barrels taper? I'm using the low rings I believe and I have just enough clearance for my 566mm night force and the Butler Creek scope cover. Just to help, check this link out from Farrell on mounting

https://www.kenfarrell.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=11

When I mounted my base, I degreased the entire top of the receiver as well as the screw holes. Next I greased all the screws going back into the receiver in case some of my epoxy got on the screws. I then mixed up my trusted JB weld and placed epoxy on the entire underside of the base keeping it away from the screw holes. Next I put the base down on the receiver and screwed it down to torque specs of base. I then took a Q-Tip and removed the epoxy that had extruded out from under the base leaving a nice and neat seam. After it cured I removed the screws and cleaned the holes and screws making sure not to leave any deposits. I then used blue Loctite on the screws and torqued to spec. Had to remove the base about 6 years after I originally installed. It was easy, just place a hot iron on the base and after a few minutes the base posed off, leaving the epoxy which promptly slid off in one single piece. That's my experience!

Farrell GFORCE base and low rings do not clear a 16X SWFA as shipped. The interference is scope to rail not scope to barrel. Some grinding on the rear of the base to taper fixed that. There is a lot of meat that can come off the base before getting anywhere close to the screw seat. Doesn't look to bad. I prefer having the scope mounted low. Plenty of clearance objective to barrel, including scope covers, with this setup.

Bedded the base, torqued the screws with loctite 271 to 25 in-lbs.

Seated the cross bolts and torqued to 50 in-lbs.

Set the eye relief and got the cross hairs pretty close to level, torqued the ring screws to 25 in-lbs. My understanding is level to earth is more important than level to rifle. I intend to get a scope mounted bubble level at some point.

Got 10rds of 225gr SST loaded over 90gr of RE 22 in Nosler brass with WLRM primers. Intend to put it on paper as I work on barrel break in tomorrow afterwork

Last edited:
Sounds good to me! When I leveled my rig I made sure the table it was on was level, the rifle and scope were leveled. I then took a 6' ladder out at 25 yards (longest distance I could get at home) and hung a plumb bob from a fluorescent purple plumb line. Made sure my vertical line in the scope was dead on up and down with the line. Next went out and shot a ladder test to verify. All was perfect. Good luck and hope you have yourself a long range hammer!

Shot 10 break in rounds last night after bore sighting. Sun was shining into the scope and bipod loading was eratic. First was about 6" low and 3 right at 100yds. Estimated it with the mil reticle and dialed it up to mathematically derived 400yds zero, even with 40 MOA base I still have 5 mils left below the 100yd zero. Next 3 rounds went into 3/4" I wasnt as solid on the 4th and fifth opened up to 2". Recoil is not bad, no where near my .375 H&H shooting 400gr WFNs. Then again, I dont shoot that one off the bench. The 338 is definitely not like a 223 poodle shooter off the bags. I am contemplating adding some more weight.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts