Savage Help

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by bobh918, Mar 23, 2013.

  1. bobh918

    bobh918 Well-Known Member

    Feb 19, 2009
    Hi guys! I just acquired a savage model 16 DBM chambered in 270WSM. This is my first savage, as I'm a rem guy and I always have a smith work on them. Anyhow, I would like to try my hand at rebarreling and all that good stuff you can do with a savage by your self. I'm fairly handy and have all necessary tools to do everything. My question is, what would I need in order to change the caliber from a 270WSM to say a 243 or 308? The bolt head is currently a push feed, can I just order a new bolt head and use the same parts from the current WSM head? I just want to get all of my ducks in a row before I start ordering parts. Only thing I have ordered so far is a new stock with the correct 4.4" spacing. I plan on getting a new barrel and all of the other goodies soon. The reason for going with a different caliber is I already have a rifle in 270WSM and would like something that I can take varmint hunting and maybe shoot in some tactical matches. Any help is greatly appreciated!

  2. liltank

    liltank Well-Known Member

    Nov 3, 2008
    You can use all the ejector parts off the old bolt head. I would suggest getting the new machined bolt heads offered by Pacific Tool and Gauge. You will have to adjust the firing pin when you get the new bolt head. You only want .050-.055" of the pin exposed in the fired position. If you want, PM me and I will give you my phone number and it will be easier to explain over the phone. There is another adjustment you can make on the bolt. Make sure you get a no-gauge to keep things consistent. For a no go gauge, just use a single piece of masking tape on the go-gauge. Its pretty simple. I've done it several times now.