Savage guys....which .243 is best??

DOUGLAS12

Looking to get into the 6mm world. Have several customs, couple on rem 700 and one on a stiller. Looking to venture into savage once. I was looking at the 243 in the LRP and also the SS version in the laminate stock, think it's the low profile model. I would shoot this and build loads for it, familiarizing myself in the 6mm world. Then later upgrade it using the action on it. Only concern on the LRP is that it's carbon. Is that anything of concern or what's your guys opinion. Would like a good shooter out of the box then later I'd rebarrel and probably restock it. Thanks

I have heard many bad reports on the LRP so I doubt it deserves its asking price. Now the Model 12 VLP, I have a couple of those and they are good actions.

The long fluted varmint barrels look flashy, but their twist rate does not support shooting even 95gr VLD's unless you live at high altitude. However, they are desirable with Savage owners who own blued barrels, so a new take off factory varmint barrel should get you a return of $180, thus more than half the fee for a good 1:8 26" match barrel. Talk to Jim at NSS and watch MidwayUSA, they have these barrels in stock from Shilen every now and again.

If you take the model 12 route, you should be all set up with a new match barrel for under $1000 and have a much better rifle than the LRP, in my opinion.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts