Savage FCP-SR 168 grain Amax. Update*4-30-23

Pull the tip of the q-tip up so it doesn't have the handle. the goal is to get the soft material in to compact down enough to wipe out the oil/brake clean.

Think of it as doing a greasy dish. Dawn DON'T take grease out of the way, unless you scrub it.

Fold a pipe cleaner in half and try that.
Yup I do the samething with the Q tip. Just basically screw it into the screw hole and it will size down after a few times. Pipe cleaner is even better but i haven't gotten any in a long time.

Ok. This is probably the last update on this for a while. I think I'm just going to run this load through deer season.

It seems no matter what I do I can't get this virgin Lapua brass to shoot as well as the Federal brass. So I'm settling on this load until I run all this brass through once and then maybe it'll tighten up. Right now it's shooting a pretty consistent .58" at 100 yards. Here's two 3 shot groups. The federal load was 46 grains of Varget and .010" jump and a pretty consistent .30" groups. With the new Lapua I had to bump up to 46.4 grains of Varget and .58" is what it's holding for about 5 groups. Which is good enough accuracy for hunting.

Also you'll see 5 numbered shots in one pic. Those are Hornady Black 308 with the same 168 Amax as my handloads. I made no adjustments in the scope or my aim for these 5 shots so it's weird that 2 are touching and then an inch away 3 are touching.

Anyways. That's all for now. I can live with near 1/2 moa out to 500 yards.

Also I did end up using alcohol and a Q-tip to thoroughly clean the mount holes out and the mount screws. Then I bedded the scope base to the receiver and then torqued it in place with loctite. Hopefully this solves the issue of the scope mount coming loose which has plagued me on this rifle and is the reason for this thread to begin with. I originally thought I was having trouble developing a load and the mount had came loose. Then it came loose a second time a few weeks ago.
044C0333-EF38-42AB-9C0D-E395EF46E1B7.jpeg
2A6AB630-6152-41D5-AD5F-3AF9A1D59844.jpeg

Last edited:

Recent Posts