168 AMAX 308 Load

Rcolter

I am currently loading 44 gr of Varget in LC brass with 168 amax @ 2.815 OAL

It shoots great but is a compressed load and leaves a small groove/mark on the bullet. Has anyone else experienced this? I am using Hornady Custom Dies w/amax seating stem.

I am currently loading 44 gr of Varget in LC brass with 168 amax @ 2.815 OAL

It shoots great but is a compressed load and leaves a small groove/mark on the bullet. Has anyone else experienced this? I am using Hornady Custom Dies w/amax seating stem.

I use Forster dies. Brass is virgin Lapua, cleaned up, pockets checked, no need to chamf/debur. I put CCI BR4 primers in them, 44.0 grains Varget with an OAL of 2.825. That was max length my 700P would take in the internal mag without any major issues. My loads aren't compressed with the 168 Amax. Its tighter on the 168 Hybrids.

Due to the bastard of this polar vortex dropping too much snow in Maine. Good weather is coming hopefully and I will get out there. I was shooting 45.2gr RL15 with Horns 168 BTHP in RP brass. It shot sub out to 450. Will get more data up soon. I am playing with alot of new combinations this spring.

SHM

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts