Savage 308 FCP SR pet loads?

ShootnMathews

Picked up one of these in a trade. It is Super accurate with Federal Gold Medal Match ammo(half moa to 600 yards). But as we all know it's hard to leave well enough alone. I can't help but wonder what some good hand loads would do.

Does anyone have any pet loads that shoots better than the GMM ammo??

Picked up one of these in a trade. It is Super accurate with Federal Gold Medal Match ammo(half moa to 600 yards). But as we all know it's hard to leave well enough alone. I can't help but wonder what some good hand loads would do.

Does anyone have any pet loads that shoots better than the GMM ammo??
The easy button is to replicate the Federal load using your once fired brass. I'd just bump the shoulders on the cases and use SMK's. Fed210 primers and either IMR 4064, RL15, TAC, or Varget. If you can't get Federal primers then CCI or Winchester primers. My supply got low so I used Remington primers. Still an easy 0.5 moa or better in my PSS. I don't shoot for tiny groups at 100 yards anymore. I get a load and shoot 800 yards and beyond. .223 for 600 yards and under.

The Sierra manual makes it easy with their bullets. They list accuracy loads. Oh i forgot H4895 is a great powder too shooting 168 gr SMK's in a 308 Win.

Daggum Bro. You been at this a while! 🤣
Well I started to work on it then and barely put 30 rounds through it and shelved it due to life. But yes it is the same rifle. I just got it back out last month again.

The sad part is when I didnt get the kind of results then that I wanted and shelved it the scope mount was probably loose then 😂😂🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
Take a look at the Berger 185 VLD. 41.5gr Varget did very well in mine with LC brass and CC200s. Loaded long at about .050" off the lands.

43.5 did just as well, but I figured I shouldn't push it that hard to conserve brass life.