Savage F/TR Action

winmagman

Got my hands on one of these last week and thought I'd share a few initial obsevations.

This one is a stainless RB RP .473 boltface SA. Right out of the box my first thought was "dang that's pretty". Exterior is nicely finished with no visable tool marks or blemishes. Lettering is in black and very crisp (looks darn sharp) reads "WARNING: PRECISION TARGET TRIGGER" Point in a safe direction, Then load and close bolt with extreme care, Savage Arms yada yada yada... Guess they don't want anyone having an accident.

Next of coarse I had to try it out, in a word Smoooth, with no mag. or follower to go over the bolt just glides back and forth in the action, almost as smooth as my hand lapped Remmy but not quite. I also immedately noticed that there was a lot less play in the bolt while in the action body, just seems to fit tighter than any of my other Savages.

Next the trigger, now keep in mind I have never fired a Jewel trigger most of mine are Rifle Basix, SSS, or tuned Remmys. This target Accutrigger gets down to the "dang scary" range. Specs say down to 6oz which is darn light for my liking. It is however very light, crisp, and smooth, no creep or overtravel to speak of.

Cost of this thing was $452 to my hand, includes action, shipping, and use of a dealers FFL. And I'll confess I balked a bit at putting out $450 for a Savage action. However when I figured $280 plus tax for a Stevens, $80 or $100 for a RB or SSS trigger, $30 for a precision ground recoil lug, $60 for a tactical bolt handle (my preference).... well you can see where it wouldn't take long to make it a wash.

It will be a while before I get to building on it, but for right now I'm pretty pleased with what I got for what I paid.

More to come later.

Chris

Wade,

Length of the port is 3.030 give of take a couple or thousandths, width is .625. I have swithched bolts and put my 7mm SAUM brass through the port and it does fit, only about a 1/16" clearance on a side though, ejected cleanly 17 out of 20 times. I had to put the brass in the bolt head by hand (no barrel yet) I think that had something to do with the three that didn't eject.

TAC,

I tried to take some close up pics but all I could get was something with so much glare you couldn't tell what it was or a fuzzy blur. Guess thats the price I pay for not being smarter than a digital camera.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.