Savage COAL

Educated Redneck

Looking at buying a Savage 16 300 WSM and want to shoot 208 gr A-Max bullets but wonder about the max COAL allowed for the factory magazine. I don't want to seat the bullet deeper and take up powder space if possible. Will the factory magazine accept long COAL bullets such as above or is there an aftermarket magazine or DBM? Thought about converting a long action and rebarrelling to the 300 wsm, but that negates the weight savings of the short action.

It seems that the rifle manufacturers don't want you to touch the lands so why not just a single shot ? Plus if your worried about the tuning ability and the making use of the case you might find it shoots better closer to the lands and longer than mag length. My 7rem mag shoots the 162 amax at way longer than mag length really accurate as I would take accuracy over more ammo in the mag box. You might want to measure the different mag boxes to be sure .

Right. It seems you and I have the same problem. I don't want a single shot hunting rifle. I plan to outfit the barrel and custom ammo like you have in the 7mm with long for caliber bulltets, but in my 300 wsm for the exact accuracy and ballistic benefits you described. This creates a COAL/magazine problem as you learned too.

So what is the solution? Back to the original question, does an aftermarket product exist that will accept long COAL bullets so that one can have long for caliber custom ammo to the lands yet have a magazine that will allow multiple shots? I know this is simple on a Rem 700 with a Wyatt's extended bag (and others), but I want to know specifically for the Savage.

I'm hoping there's a simple inexpensive solution aside from seating the bullets deeper in the case, using a long action, or having a single shot rifle.

Right. It seems you and I have the same problem. I don't want a single shot hunting rifle. I plan to outfit the barrel and custom ammo like you have in the 7mm with long for caliber bulltets, but in my 300 wsm for the exact accuracy and ballistic benefits you described. This creates a COAL/magazine problem as you learned too.

So what is the solution? Back to the original question, does an aftermarket product exist that will accept long COAL bullets so that one can have long for caliber custom ammo to the lands yet have a magazine that will allow multiple shots? I know this is simple on a Rem 700 with a Wyatt's extended bag (and others), but I want to know specifically for the Savage.

I'm hoping there's a simple inexpensive solution aside from seating the bullets deeper in the case, using a long action, or having a single shot rifle.

Sounds like your going to have to go with an after market setup for a magazine and bottom metal, it gets a little pricey here.
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...age-bottom-metal-trigger-guard-prod45409.aspx

Perfect! That's exactly what I was hoping to find. I think all one would need to is to bend the lips of the mag a bit to accommodate bullet size for 300 wsm vs the 308 it's made for. Perhaps someone will chyme in with an even simpler solution. At least I now know there's a solution.

Looking at buying a Savage 16 300 WSM and want to shoot 208 gr A-Max bullets but wonder about the max COAL allowed for the factory magazine. I don't want to seat the bullet deeper and take up powder space if possible. Will the factory magazine accept long COAL bullets such as above or is there an aftermarket magazine or DBM? Thought about converting a long action and rebarrelling to the 300 wsm, but that negates the weight savings of the short action.

Not sure what the difference in mag length but I have a Savage 11 FCNS in .300 WSM and it can take a 3.00" COAL with .003" clearance. I have the following measurement taken (using Hornady LNL COAL gauge and Hornady LNL bullet comparator) off my rifle for load development:

190 Berger -- 2.253" CBTO (touching the land); 2.928" COAL
208 A-MAX -- 2.258" CBTO (touching the land); 2.985" COAL
210 Berger -- 2.246" CBTO (touching the land); 2.917" COAL
215 Berger -- 2.277" CBTO (touching the land); 3.042" COAL

Hope this is of some help/use to you. Good luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.