Savage axis 17 remington

Flatlandcoaxer86

I recently put together a savage axis with a boyds stock and shilen barrel in 17 Remington as a short range calling rifle. I cannot get the dang thing to feed reliably. Anyone else running a 17 Remington?

It's real hard to figure out with out it in my hands....if it was built from a 223 it should feed no problem...if built from a another caliber that my be the problem.....

Mine was a factory Remington 700 no feeding problems with it . A good description of how it is acting would be helpful , is it double feeding , the nose of the bullet hanging up , the bolt not picking up the next round ect. but as coyote wacker said actually seeing what it is doing would be ideal .

like others have said we need more info. but one problem with savage in 223 is if you load long even know the mag will accept it the bullet hits the back of the barrel before the case rides up the feed ramp enough to guide the bullet into the barrel and with the long neck of the 17 rem. it might be a problem. the solution is to adjust the feed lips on the mag so the bullet nose tips up allowing the bullet to align better with the chamber

Thanks for the replys! With an untouched magazine, it feeds straight into the barrel, bout 1/4" below going into the chamber. I sacrificed one mag attempting to "adjust" the feed lips. I could not find a good way to precisely bend them. Not a good design. I could not find a happy medium as far as bending too much or not enough. Not enough, the result is the same obviously. Bending them enough to get the bullet tip up more either causes the tip to hit way above the chamber, or it loses the case and spits the round half way out sideways. Bending the feed lips enough to actually get the bullet tip to chamber causes the the rounds to be pointing way up just relaxed in the mag. All axis actions are the same length, 223-30-06, so that part is insignificant. Im using factory savage 223 magazines in a boyds prairie hunter short action stock. Ive been messing with this thing for over a month and man I am frustrated! I think I was overcharged for the barrel so I cant really afford to scrap the project. I have considered trying a short action savage like a 10,11, or 12 but even then, I tried to chamber a dummy round in my 11 223 and same result, hits way below the chamber. I could switch to aics mags on a 10 or 11 but I dont know if those mags are adjustable in any way since most are polymer.

I recently put together a savage axis with a boyds stock and shilen barrel in 17 Remington as a short range calling rifle. I cannot get the dang thing to feed reliably. Anyone else running a 17 Remington?
Well, I don't today, but I did and I sent a lot of Yokes and Chucks to the promised land with it, it was a Reminging Class M700 in .17 Rem, loved the rifle and caliber, eventually I sold it to a friend who also likes swacking Yokes and keeps the hides. It was a great cartridge around cattle during calving time, just zero ricochets. Back then I was reloading the Remington 25gr HP which they no longer make, Remington 7 1/2 small bench rest primers, Remington case, and VV-135 powder, it gave the same velocity (4040 fps) as the factory Remington load and shoot into the same hole, Remington factory ammo was very accurate in my rifle back then. Out to 300-350 yards, it was lighting!

Last edited:
They can be frustrating. My brother and I just got two new Mossberg gold Super Sport shotguns both guns had between 9 and 10 lb trigger pull. Mossberg didn't want to do anything about it so I finally sat down and polish the Sears with diamond compound, brought them down between four and five pounds on each. Mine was 4 lb on one trigger four and a quarter on the other my brothers was four and a quarter four and a half pounds. With a little shooting they could get a little better. This was an average on five trigger pulls. Don't give up on it you'll get it figured out

Maybe you could get someone to make a video of what it is doing in slow motion and a picture of what the brass looks like when it happens so people can better understand what is going on with it thus helping us better to be able to help you with it . Having spent the last 50 years fixing problems I know that I can't fix something if I can't understand what it is actually doing wrong . most likely it's a simple thing .

It doesnt function the same slow as it does fast. The guy from sharp shooter supply says the barrel needs to be tapered instead of flat on the chamber end. He guaruntees he can make it feed but on the other hand, he has a HORRIBLE reputation for the business side and customer service so thats a big concern.