Skoobie0000

20180321_201423.jpg
20190528_170146.jpg
20190528_170147.jpg
20190528_170304.jpg
20190528_170316.jpg
20190528_170554.jpg
20190528_170602.jpg
Hi guys. Quick question for you guys out there who have a lot of restoration experience.

For reference the photo of the rifle in the gun case was taken shortly after I acquired it. The photos on my kitchen floor are after I worked on the rifle.

As some of you have seen I've been cleaning up some of my fathers old bolt action rifles to sell them off. I found an old Savage Anschutz Match 64 in the back of one of the safes that I've been ignoring because...well...it honestly didn't look very impressive. Just thought it was some old junk 22 dad forgot about. It was rusty and the wood was scarred and all dried out. Finally looked at the barrel and discovered it wasn't just run of the mill Ruger LR.

So I started cleaning up the barrel and wood. Overall I think its in 'fair' shape. There was enough surface rust to cause pitting along both sides of the barrel. Got that cleaned up with a few coats of Ballistol and a nylon brush. Not much else to be done there short of stripping are re-blueing I think.

It's the wood I'm worried about. I started oiling and polishing the stock without really thinking about the grip. Some of dads rifles have a nice checkered patter carved into the stock that polished up real nice. This rifle however had a very rough and 'raw' grind around the grip. As I applied the oil I noticed it was absorbing very quickly into the raw portion of the grip and it was VERY uneven. I spend a couple hours applying more oil to the grip and trying to even out the tone. It drank a LOT of linseed oil. Now I'm worried I ruined it :( I wiped off the excess so it's not greasy but its VERY dark. Should I have taped off that portion of the stock before I started? I hope I didn't screw it up too bad. If so got any suggestions to correct it? Thanks for the advice in advance guys.

Oh, one other thing. I'm having a hard time dating this rifle. I cant find a Proof Stamp that matches this rifle. I'm also finding it difficult to determine if this is a pre -1958 rifles, between 1958-1968, or a 1968-present rifle. Is there a way to narrow down those date ranges? Appreciate the help guys!

I have a similar rifle just not as fancy of stock. For age you could look in the blue book of gun values. I can not remember when these rifles were produced but it was for a limited time. A swap kind of deal between Savage and Anshcutz. Hope this helps you some.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.