Savage Action Primary extraction, timing and cycling?

gohring3006

Is there any thing I can do at home to smooth things up
myself?
I'm really having trouble getting the Savage 10 round mag to feed smoothly. The cartridge hangs up upon exiting the mag. I didn't know if I can do anything to the mag or action to get these things running smooth for PRS.

Does it feed OK with any magazines ?
Is it hitting the feed ramp too low and sticking on the bullets point ?
Does it feed better if you hold the mag up in the well or angle it forward or backward ?
Have you tried opening/bending or tightening the feed lips a little ?
If your gun has the bottom metal like in the photo you can try spacing it down a bit with a thin washer which will lower the magazine or dremel a little material off the stock and it will fit a little closer to the action, raising the magazine a little closer. I wouldn't do this part if you aren't a competent tinkerer though.
Plastic02.jpg

Does it feed OK with any magazines ?
Is it hitting the feed ramp too low and sticking on the bullets point ?
Does it feed better if you hold the mag up in the well or angle it forward or backward ?
Have you tried opening/bending or tightening the feed lips a little ?
If your gun has the bottom metal like in the photo you can try spacing it down a bit with a thin washer which will lower the magazine View attachment 89232 or dremel a little material off the stock and it will fit a little closer to the action, raising the magazine a little closer. I would do this part if you aren't a competent tinkerer though.
This is great info!!
I'm going to get on it and try those things.

Probably just need to tweek the feed lips. Load the mag and take a look at how level the rounds lay in it. If level open the front up a little which will raise the tip of the bullet so it impacts the ramp a little higher making it easier to feed. If the round is tilted down then close rear of the lips at case head a little and open front a little. Take your time and with a little patience and observing you should be able to figure out what you need. MPA makes a tool for this for about $15.00. If you take a look at it you may be able to make something that will work. Most people use some sort of pliers. If you use pliers don't bare down and grip them hard enough to damage.

Last edited:
Probably just need to tweek the feed lips. Load the mag and take a look at how level the rounds lay in it. If level open the front up a little which will raise the tip of the bullet so it impacts the ramp a little higher making it easier to feed. If the round is tilted down then close rear of the lips at case head a little and open front a little. Take your time and with a little patience and observing you should be able to figure out what you need. MPA makes a tool for this for about $15.00. If you take a look at it you may be able to make something that will work. Most people use some sort of pliers. If you use pliers don't bare down and grip them hard enough to damage.
Thanks!
I made up ten dummy rounds so I could do some testing.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.