Headspace, timing and extractors

foreign

So I was thinking about timing actions the other day and had a thought. Ideally the bolt handle is as far forward in the cutout without binding so that the max amount of primary extraction is available. It also has to be timed so its not fighting the engagement lugs. Lets say that that's perfect. The thought I had is that when one sets headspace the go gauge is bearing on the bolt face. That's fine, but when you go to extract a case the extractor engages the case lip and if there is a bigger gap between the bolt face and the extractor than the rim thickness you are loosing extraction there. My factory Remington's are good, but one with a M16 extractor has slop and so does a browning I have.

Do people think/ worry/ time the extractors? I'm thinking of soldering in an insert and then reaming my headspace a bit.

Cheers

So I was thinking about timing actions the other day and had a thought. Ideally the bolt handle is as far forward in the cutout without binding so that the max amount of primary extraction is available. It also has to be timed so its not fighting the engagement lugs. Lets say that that's perfect. The thought I had is that when one sets headspace the go gauge is bearing on the bolt face. That's fine, but when you go to extract a case the extractor engages the case lip and if there is a bigger gap between the bolt face and the extractor than the rim thickness you are loosing extraction there. My factory Remington's are good, but one with a M16 extractor has slop and so does a browning I have.

Do people think/ worry/ time the extractors? I'm thinking of soldering in an insert and then reaming my headspace a bit.

Cheers

If this bothers you, I would look for an extractor that could be modified to fit the case head better. but there has to be a little room for different case head thicknesses and if you make it fit to close you may find ammo/brass that will not allow the extractor to drop in the grove preventing extraction.

Fitting an extractor is very important, but there is plenty of ramp to extract the case and with the differences in brass quality there needs to be a little space between the extractor face and the front of the rim for proper function.

Being precise is very important, But in some cases function is more important. lately I have been running into groove's that were not as deep as normal causing the extractor to pop out of the groove
Changing the angle and shortening the extractor was the fix.

So I guess my recommendation would be If it is not broke, don't fix it. you may change one problem for another.

Just my opinion
J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.