Savage action flex in XLR Element

elktaker

I have a Savage SA in an XLR element action. I am waiting for a barrel and was messing with it and re-installed the old barrel and action back in the chassis.

Here's the problem:

If I tighten the rear action screw more than 8 in/lb, it causes the bolt to be hard to cycle (catches in the middle). I can vary the front screw from 8 in/lb to 60 in/lb and it seems not to matter. As long as the rear is 8 in/lb, it cycles fine. If I tighten it to 10 in/lb, it gets rough and gets hard to cycle the more I tighten it.

I will not be able to shot it until my barrel gets here. Any accuracy concerns if the front action screw is 60 in/lb and the rear is only 8 in/lb.

Sounds like a good bedding job might fix that. From what you describe you have a high spot in the middle of the action inletting for some reason. I would have it bedded that should fix it, or give the manufacturer a call and let them know what is happening.

Accuracy may be affected since 8 in/lbs is not that much tension on the rear action screws as opposed to 60 in/lbs as mentioned for the front. I would think you would want that ratio between the two much less to achieve consistent surface tension and not localized to a small/specific area.

As mentioned, bedding would correct the issue. However, not sure if that can be accomplished with the stock mentioned. Shimming the action may be your alternative if bedding is not possible.

With the action torqued down enough to cause the issue make sure the action is floating from the rear screw back. If you put the tang of a Savage under tension it'll really mess with them.

With the action torqued down enough to cause the issue make sure the action is floating from the rear screw back. If you put the tang of a Savage under tension it'll really mess with them.

Should I I just put some bedding compound in the rear to build it up? Instead of bedding the whole length of the action.

My barrel may be done by Friday as soon as they thread and true my brake (according to pacnor today).

pretty common. I see it mostly with the ptg replacement bolt body. a good bedding job and floating of rear tang will solve problem

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.