Savage .308 Build

JPaul17

Ok so here's the deal I've got a Savage 11 .308 black and stainless and have decided it would make a great project rifle. The only problem is what I should do with it. My main use for the gun is deer hunting at moderate ranges but I also like to do some long range gopher hunting in the summer. Im torn on which direction to head, either a tactical long range hunter or a good old fashioned classic tackdriver with a nice wood stock. I have a .243 and a .270 that I use for most long range work so I'm not pressed for another long range gun so thats my reasoning behind turning it into more of just a show peice. Any suggestions for what I should do are welcome.

Set it up tactical like, 1 piece base, good scope, tactical rings, then glass bed it in a stockys LRV laminate in tawny brown. Would have classy looks and awesome useability.

May want to consider a 24" Medium contour in a 1:12 twist. Should you feel the need to shoot heavier bullets for fun, then get an 11.25 or 10 twist. The 1:12 will handle most bullets up to 190grains. For your purpose I would think a 150-175 grain bullet would be right where you need it. The 175's will be good to 1000yd to play around with but be a hard hitter from 0-800. 24" is a good all around length for the .308. I like Backwoods idea. Sounds sexy to me. I'm little partial to Savage though.... well okay, a lot partial to Savage!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.