savage 12BVSS 300 wsm

Bubb

I think after all the reading on this site for over a year now this is going to be my stater rifle. Since savage has come out with there new trigger that is getting such good reviews. I think this will be a great place to start. The price I was quoted for the 112bvss in 300 wsm is $547.00 which isn't bad, I plan on putting a 8x20 lupy longrange scope on top. The 300 wsm is a step above the 300 win and will do everything I need. My end goal is to take a whitetail deer in potter co Pa across lushbaugh canone, I have a camp there. Anyway, any thoughts on this set up would be nice.

bruce hanson

jnebubb

I have a 300WSM and a 300 win mag. The 300 win mag with a one inch longer barrel is 200 feet faster with 165 gr. scirocco. I like them both, but I think all the fuss over the 300WSM is a bit of hype. I can't comment much on accuracy as the 300WSM has a light barrel and groups about .9 inch while the 300 win mag has a heavy barrel and groups about .25 inch. I also shoot the Leupold long range M1 and like it. I had a bit of a problem, but Leupold replaced the scope.

GRainwater

I have a 300WSM Savage. I think the designation is 12FVSS (heavy, fluted, stainless steel). It shoots 1/2 MOA without much load workup. I have three 300 Win Mags but like the 300WSM better even though it shoots a little slower, aprox. 50fps slower. The brass for the WMS lasts much longer. Trigger is great. Stock feels flimsy but is obviously adequate. Love the thought of ordering a new chambered barrel and putting it on myself, saving a few hundred dollars and not having to ship off my rifle and be without it for weeks.

waterdog

I think you will be pleased with this setup, and will find it very accurate. The factory Winchester Supreme ammo is very good if you don't intend to reload. I have a Savage 12BVSS in 300WSM that I use in 1000yd factory class bench rest matches. My gun will shoot 10 to 12 inch groups at that yardage..Not bad for a factory gun.

Good luck hunting in Potter county. I will be in Clearfield county looking for a nice buck at long range.,,,,,,,,By the way, my scope is a Leupold 6.5 x 20.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce