Savage 12

Sykes

Today my father in law bought a new savage 12 BTCSS 22-250. We got home and I went to adjust the accu trigger for him, I've had several savages in the past and have done this before, and I notice the both trigger guard screw were loose. Didn't think much of it and moved on to lighten the trigger. Replace the stock and checked the trigger. Installed the magazine and the bolt drags bad. After messing around i determined that loosining the front trigger guard screw, the middle long screw , the bolt would No longer drag. It's loose, like finger tight, any tighter and the bolt drags but only with the magazine in. No mag, all is fine.
Anybody experienced this? I've never had any bad experiences with a savage

The screws are too long or the wood stock has compressed some where the screws go thru. But Savages uses pillars on the Model 12 stocks. Also screw length are a bit different depending on if its an accustock or wood stock.

I would just have a look at the pillars in the stock and make sure all looks good, then shorten the screws with a file a bit so they no longer go thru the action into the raceway when tight. I have had to shorten some with a file before...

It's a wood thumbhole stock. The inlet looks a little sloppy. The rear screw is stripped and the wood is blown out inside the stock , you can see the threads with the screw installed. There is a split in the wood where the pillar is in the middle screw hole also.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.