Trying to purchase a Savage 12 lpv DBM .22-250 9 inch twist

Vomact

I have been trying (and failing miserably) to purchase one of these rifles since before Christmas. I 'ordered' the rifle from at least 6 online dealers, who shall remain nameless to protect their reputations. Every dealer I have dealt with has 'assured' me that they have it in stock. I place the order and 3 to 5 days later get an 'Ooops!, we are SO sorry, THAT rifle we do NOT have in stock. Please leave us your email and we will get back to you maybe in 3 or 4 weeks.

Is this a gun that savage produces 2 a month, or is it simply so popular that they are virtually unobtainable, or are online brokers incompetent or just plain unethical.

This is no way to run a business.

I should stress at this point that I don't consider this rifle priced over $920 a reasonable deal.

Anybody know where one is at?

Vomact

I checked several of my sources and could not find what you are looking for in stock. You probably caught Savage in between mfg. runs of various models. I was able to find it in 12", but for 9" barrels - the cupboard does seem to be bare right now.

Vomact

I got one of those Savage LPV (in a 9 twist 223 Rem) off the shelf at my local gun shop several months back. A buddy who was with me had to order his which took two weeks. Another buddy bought one in 300 WSM and it took him a couple of months to get it. Depends on time of year and production schedule. Give Savage a call to see when their next production run will hit the streets.

When you get it I can tell you that you are going to like it. Very accurate right out of the box. I had mine at the range the other day getting ready for p-dog season. Of 8 shots at 200 yards 1 missed dead center by 7/8", 1 missed by 5/8" inch and the other 6 shots missed by 3/8" or less. There are going to be some hurtin' p-dogs out there this year.

I have a Savage Model 12 in 22-250 and I've come to appreciate the 223 Rem in comparison as you can shoot it way more/faster without overheating the barrel.

SCORE!

I finally called the 'right' local gunsmith. I will have the rifle by next Wednesday at a really good price. Scope arrives Tuesday.

I will be braking in the barrel on Saturday.

A side note:

I checked with probably 20-25 brokers or gun store owners and received all kinds of prices.

I had one guy in NH (who shall remain nameless lest his business go tits up) who wanted to charge me over $1,300 for the gun with a 3 week wait.

The Savage MSRP is $1145!

NEVER pay the MSRP as this is a fantasy number. It is a 'suggestion' nothing more.

Any gun store owner with a a good broker should be getting any rifle at this MSRP wholesale for about $700 (I checked).

It pays to shop.......and I rally hate shopping.

Vomact

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.