savage 111LRH vs. 111 FCNS???

chad44

I'm looking at buying a new rifle and have done SOME research but can't find a whole lot on the LRH. I read a review or two and it seems to be an accurate rifle. the question I have is what is the difference between the long range hunter and the basic 111 FCNS other than the muzzle break and comb on the stock??? they both have accu stock and trigger. on savage's site the 111 FCNS is listed at 675$ and the 111LRH is 962$. Is it a better idea to spend the extra money for the LRH? Thanks

To be honest you are going through exactly what I just went through. I have been looking at the 111LRH 300WM for about 6 months now. The unfortunate problem that I ran into is the almost zero availability of 111LRH in that cartridge. So, I opted for the 111FCNS. Identical rifle... minus Karsten Cheekpiece and the adjustable muzzle brake. Same 24" barrel, accustock and accutrigger.

I got it for $528 out the door at GunEnvyStore.com. The cheapest I found the LRH was over $900 when you figured in tax. So... if I buy the $65 cheekpiece and install myself (it's actually REALLY easy to do) I could still spend $150-200 on getting a premium muzzle brake installed and STILL come out ahead of the LRH straight up. That's my advice to you...

Hi Mate,

Friend of mine has a 111LRH in 300wm and it shoot's great. He uses hand loads only and today's session had five shots in less than half inch at 100 meters. For your info he's using Leupold mounts with a Redfield 4-12 x 40 accurange. The gun has worked great in the field for goats, red deer and hogs max shot thus far I think was a little over 400 yards.

Hope that helps.

i want the 7mm...the difference for that is 24" vs 26" barrel.

Both rifles are 24" barrel for the magnums... the muzzle brake counts for the 2" making it a "26 inch" barrel. But technically they are both 24, same contour. So, you're not gaining any barrel length either way with the LRH or FCNS

Last edited:
i want the 7mm...

Weatherby... unless you're getting the 7mm WSM, or 7mm RUM, I wouldn't opt for that caliber over the 300WinMag. The 7mm Rem Mag has limited bullet choices over the 300 and it doesn't have the trajectory or stopping power the 300 does. It's close and that's not to say the 7mm RemMag is a bad choice. But I wouldn't purchase that over the RUM, WSM, or the 300. IMHO. I'm no expert. Just going by the data.

Resurrect this from the files. I looked at and nearly purchased the lrh in 7mm for blacktail and mule deer. I did not desire a mussle brake nor the comb. I ended up with the 111 fcns ordered with a 9.5 twist 26" medium sporter fluted with target crown. I'm loving it. Removable mag, accu trigger and stock with the longer barrel with no brake I desired.
I'm getting ready to load up my rounds using norma and 168 berger vld, scope should be here soon.
As it is, I didn't draw my preferred zone or out of state hunt so I should be ready for next year.
Price for the fcns configured as above was about 950.

There are more differences in the two that are mentioned, the accustock on the LRH is a slightly different design than the regular accustock and the barrel is fluted and measures .745" at the muzzle muzzle where the regular 111 measures .685" at the muzzle, considering they are the same length its only feasable to say the LRH would have less harmonic resonance and cool faster, also the brake can be closed, similar to the boss on brownings and the LRH can be had for less than 900 at some places when its in stock. If you plan to keep the rifle factory buy the LRH, iff you want to upgrade one buy a 111 FXP3 from walmart, cabelas, or dicks, etc.. for about 400 bucks.

The 111 FXP3 does not include the accu stock and has a msrp of 678. As you mentioned it may be had cheap at discount stores. The cost to re-stock and re-barrel may exceed the cost of the rifle built (and warrantied) by Savage Custom Shop as I described above.
I believe they use Shaw Barrels as they called the barrel profile I desired the heavy sporter (I incorrectly wrote medium in post above). I did not desire a super heavy barrel as I plan to hunt with this and there should be no issues with heat deflection in a hunting situation. Weight savings was important in making the decision.

There is one on the shelf at my local walmart for 397 in 7mm mag, 110 for a b&c duramax, 6 for the mag retainer clip, and 280 for a 26" CBI barrel. Looks about like 820 with taxes, sounds pretty cheap to me. Msrp on savages website doesn't mean s#@t!

I'm aware and clearly stated that. The model you mention will take more cash that the lrh or fcns custom I spec'd.
The op also is asking about the fcns vs. lrh. The multitude of configurations are to broad to address in replying to such a specific question.
You also mentioned a difference in the accu-stock used on the fcns and lrh. Besides the comb do you know what the differences are?

Yes I do the LRH uses an aluminum wedge behind the recoil lug to put tension against it, the fcns just has the aluminum block in the stock that the action just sits on. The combo I listed above is just over 800 and that's about the cheapest you will find a LRH. Savages are nice because I can build the equivilant of a 3000 dollar custom with it being just as accurate and spend just over a thiird of that!

I agree. Started looking at remingtons offerings and compared specs.
The savages stock offerings are great and having the custom shop available makes it a serious contender in the "field rifle" category.
I can't comment on range rifle configurations, others may have insight.
edit -->p.s. the wedge is not a "difference" in models. Savage shooters forum reports it was a design change and all new accu-stock models (for over a year) do not have the wedge.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.