Savage 110 ULTRALITE 300 WSM for 800 yards Elk hunting few questions

caesar55

Please do not answer any other questions

1. Rate of Twist (in) 1 in 10 5GR - What factory round is the best (most accurate with enough energy at 800 yards)?
2. PROOF Research Carbon Fiber Wrapped Stainless Steel Cut Rifled Barrel 24" - What is the least accuracy effecting and most reoil reducing muzzle break. Weight is secondary
3. What scope rail (preferable) or scope rings work perfectly (price and weight on this is irrelevant) for regular 6-24 30mm scope? One thing I am thinking about is that I shouldnt put hard material on top of the receiver so it doesnt eat it up (am I overthinking?)
4. What is the best rail for the bipod (yes I want rail)?

Thanks!

Q#1: No universal answer. It's ALWAYS trial and error for accurate factory ammo (and reloads).
Q#2: Area 419 Hellfire Match
Q#3: I like MDT or Nightforce here
Q#3b: Yes, you're overthinking on "too hard of material."
Q#4: Area 419

Q#1: No universal answer. It's ALWAYS trial and error for accurate factory ammo (and reloads).
Q#2: Area 419 Hellfire Match
Q#3: I like MDT or Nightforce here
Q#3b: Yes, you're overthinking on "too hard of material."
Q#4: Area 419
Thanks so much. Which MDT do I choose? My rifle is short action but it doesnt say 110 in the dropdown https://mdttac.com/20-moa-picatinny-scope-base/
For Q1 I meant only judging by the twist rate

Please do not answer any other questions

1. Rate of Twist (in) 1 in 10 5GR - What factory round is the best (most accurate with enough energy at 800 yards)?
No way to determine any of this without shooting in your gun and measuring velocity. The accuracy and ballistic figures will tell you if it meets your standards.
2. PROOF Research Carbon Fiber Wrapped Stainless Steel Cut Rifled Barrel 24" - What is the least accuracy effecting and most reoil reducing muzzle break. Weight is secondary
Out of dozens of muzzle brakes from one off customs to off the shelf $75 brakes I have never lost accuracy or gained it on brake alone. I have gained accuracy from reduced recoil. What reduces recoil the most will again only be determined by you shooting your rifle with that brake and that ammo. Brakes are more effective the more powder your burning down the barrel. I prefer horizontal brakes for hunting, just to keep from blowing debris back on me. I have found a 3 port is just as effective for my felt recoil as a 5 port on some guns.
3. What scope rail (preferable) or scope rings work perfectly (price and weight on this is irrelevant) for regular 6-24 30mm scope? One thing I am thinking about is that I shouldnt put hard material on top of the receiver so it doesnt eat it up (am I overthinking?)
Again what ever your choose. You will not harm one tiny thing putting a steel base against your steel receiver.
4. What is the best rail for the bipod (yes I want rail)?

Thanks!
Are you anticipating putting a rail on the factory stock? I don't do rails, and many think the factory stock is too wimpy. I dont think it is, just getting the rail perfectly centered might be difficult on that stock. Also, while at it if you want just pour some epoxy in the honey comb spaces and wallah you have a "stiffer" stock. Or find an accustock long action and it will only add 3oz to the guns weight.

1704751096825.png

For ammo, your factory twist rate is good for whatever you can buy.
I'd personally stay with the heavier stuff myself. 185gr to 200gr options below. It's going to hurt the pocket book a little (a lot).

Check out the:
  • Hornady Precision Hunter Ammunition 300 Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) 200 Grain ELD-X
  • Federal Premium Terminal Ascent Ammunition 300 Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) 200 Grain Polymer Tip Bonded Boat Tail
  • Federal Premium Ammunition 300 Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) 200 Grain Hornady ELD-X Polymer Tip
  • Winchester Expedition Big Game Long Range Ammunition 300 Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) 190 Grain Nosler AccuBond LR
  • Nosler Trophy Grade Ammunition 300 Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) 190 Grain AccuBond Long Range
  • HSM Trophy Gold Ammunition 300 Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) 185 Grain Berger Hunting VLD Hollow Point Boat Tail
  • Federal Premium Ammunition 300 Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) 185 Grain Berger Hybrid Hunter

Last edited:
No way to determine any of this without shooting in your gun and measuring velocity. The accuracy and ballistic figures will tell you if it meets your standards.

Out of dozens of muzzle brakes from one off customs to off the shelf $75 brakes I have never lost accuracy or gained it on brake alone. I have gained accuracy from reduced recoil. What reduces recoil the most will again only be determined by you shooting your rifle with that brake and that ammo. Brakes are more effective the more powder your burning down the barrel. I prefer horizontal brakes for hunting, just to keep from blowing debris back on me. I have found a 3 port is just as effective for my felt recoil as a 5 port on some guns.

Again what ever your choose. You will not harm one tiny thing putting a steel base against your steel receiver.

Are you anticipating putting a rail on the factory stock? I don't do rails, and many think the factory stock is too wimpy. I dont think it is, just getting the rail perfectly centered might be difficult on that stock. Also, while at it if you want just pour some epoxy in the honey comb spaces and wallah you have a "stiffer" stock. Or find an accustock long action and it will only add 3oz to the guns weight.
Ok. thanks. What rings then?

Ok. thanks. What rings then?
One one UL I have Talley 1pc, and the other Leupold 1pc. Both are aluminum, and I went with those just to see what weight I could get down to with off the shelf factory parts.

Try the 200 terminal Ascent see if your rifle likes that flavor. Mine does. (300 yards)
tempImageXDpA69.png
Norma 180 grain bond strike also very accurate (my rifle) and should work just fine.

And since I don't do well with instructions, if you want to obsess about something the flex in the front and adding a rail and bi pod would be a hard no in my book. I'd be researching a new stock.

Last edited: