Savage 110 Carbon Predator 223 - Good or Bad?

Roughrice

I have a buddy looking for a FACTORY Savage 110 Carbon Predator 223 with a threaded carbon barrel to run suppressed as a coyote, bobcat, etc. rifle.
I don't have one but wandering if anyone has run one to give comments...

Thanks ahead!

Last edited:
I own 3 Savage rifles, none this exact model, but everyone of them has accu-trigger and accu-stock and will shoot sub 3/4 MOA. I would not hesitate to buy another one. Actually considering acquiring an action and build a specific rifle on that frame work.

my only concern would be the twist rate. Savage uses a 1-9 and is compromise twist rate and really only good for old school bullets up to 65gr. All modern designs need a 1-8 or faster.
Savage rifles have been great shooters and i believe the carbon barrels are Proof barrels and accuracy shouldn't be a problem just check the twist rate.

my only concern would be the twist rate. Savage uses a 1-9 and is compromise twist rate and really only good for old school bullets up to 65gr. All modern designs need a 1-8 or faster.
Savage rifles have been great shooters and i believe the carbon barrels are Proof barrels and accuracy shouldn't be a problem just check the twist rate.
It's a 7 twist.
He asked me about them and I gave him the specs but never shot one or handled one.

I have the Savage Storm 20" as a truck gun and has been super reliable and accurate...but it's not the carbon barrel.

Any actual experience with the Savage 110 Carbon Predator 223 would be helpful.

Thanks

It's a 7 twist.
He asked me about them and I gave him the specs but never shot one or handled one.

I have the Savage Storm 20" as a truck gun and has been super reliable and accurate...but it's not the carbon barrel.

Any actual experience with the Savage 110 Carbon Predator 223 would be helpful.

Thanks
Have a 110 Storm in .223 as well. VERY accurate rifle. Can`t imagine what would make the Carbon Predator per se inferior to any other 110 action.

Its a Savage I would skip it, and I am a major Savage fan boy! Twist rate...uh yeah ok I think they messed up big. Probably better off and better overall accuracy across more bullet weights with the standard 1/9 Savage uses.

So… you think 7 is too fast and will affect accuracy?
I have no experience with 223 and 7 twists.
Mine have 8 and 9's and my 8 with 24" can stabilize 77's and 80's.
Not as good with 9 in 20"

I don't think you'll have an issue with a 7 twist barrel. I built up a Rem700 a couple years back with a 22" 1/7 twist barrel specifically to take advantage of the heavier, more efficient .224" bullets. It is a hammer using the Hornady 88gr ELDMs and has enough power to keep them supersonic out to 1000 yards. It also shoots stuff as light as 55gr with great accuracy. The only issue I had was when I shot the 55gr Hornady SPSX bullets at over 3100fps which would result in a few of them disappearing in a gray poof.

I don't think you'll have an issue with a 7 twist barrel. I built up a Rem700 a couple years back with a 22" 1/7 twist barrel specifically to take advantage of the heavier, more efficient .224" bullets. It is a hammer using the Hornady 88gr ELDMs and has enough power to keep them supersonic out to 1000 yards. It also shoots stuff as light as 55gr with great accuracy. The only issue I had was when I shot the 55gr Hornady SPSX bullets at over 3100fps which would result in a few of them disappearing in a gray poof.
Good to hear that accuracy shouldn't suffer with 55 and 60's with the 7 t.
I figured with the barrel being only 18"… he should be fine.

Thanks

1-7 twist will not hurt 55gr bullets at 223 velocities. i shoot them in a 1-7 22 grendel @ 3500+ which is the same as the new 22 ARC.
the new 62 ELD-VT needs 1-8 and all ELDM and TMK need 1-7. I would not hesitate to get that rifle. Proof barrels have a good reputation for accuracy.