savage 110 ba 338 reloading question

snobound

First off I am new to this forum and to reloading in general.

I have already settled on berger 300gr bullets, lapua brass, and H-1000 powder, now my question is... Using what I have said I have seen threads on this site and other places of ppl pushing that powder and others like retumbo up to 90-91.5 gr????

From what my reloading book says with that set up I should start at 80gr and work my way up but not to go past 86gr.

4-5 grains more than my book says confuses me a bit

Mine is 91 grains Retumbo 300SMK .100 off lands. lapua brass. Shoots .5 MOA.My book shows max at 94 grains
Jeff

Thanks guys! This is helpful to me also I just bought a Savage 111 Long range hunter in 338 lapua. (virtually same action -It is nice to get some reloading pointers when factory loads are so expensive. -Anyone heard how many reloads you can get out of this brass? I am starting with 92gr of H1000, with 300gr. Berger HMH. What is the typical overall length when just off the lans?

The Bergers will not fit in the magazine at the lands. You would be a single shot. That's why I shoot SMKs in the BA. Can load that long but will not shoot there.
Jeff

Thanks guys! This is helpful to me also I just bought a Savage 111 Long range hunter in 338 lapua. (virtually same action -It is nice to get some reloading pointers when factory loads are so expensive. -Anyone heard how many reloads you can get out of this brass? I am starting with 92gr of H1000, with 300gr. Berger HMH. What is the typical overall length when just off the lans?

I wouldn't start at 92g H1000. That is near max load. It isn't as slow as Retumbo. In addition some guys with the Savage 338 seem to hit pressure sooner. I'd start around 89g H1000.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts