Sandblasting a blued barrel, what will it look like?

sambo3006

I have a Remington 700 VS action which is a matte finish and I am going to have a blued factory barrel put on it. I'd like to have the finish on the barrel be closer to the action. I can duracoat the whole works but I was wondering if sandblasting the barrel would give a finish any where close to the VS action finish?

Yes it will. And you can experiment by also using glass beads. For a finer finish try some worn glass beads that have been used a while.

Jeff

My buddy has the sand blasting cabinet and I believe all he has is sand media at this time. Will give that a go and see how it looks. Thanks guys!

It will not stay blued if that's the question. Glass bead it and have it blued. That is about the cheapest way to go and it will look really nice and original. If you redo the action at the same time then the whole thing will match perfectly. I would do it after it is installed.

If you hit it with sand it will need sanded down before glass beading if you decide to make it original looking.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.