Same data for two manuals

merbeau

I recently purchased a Savage Target in 204 Ruger caliber. When I start to reload for any cartridge I refer to the four (Lee, Lyman, Berger, and Norma) manuals that I have and also Hodgdon, Nosler, Vihtavouri and Alliant websites. I try to select powders that those sites have similar loads for and not those where the starting load for one is the maximum load for another.

As I was going through information for the Ruger (40 grain bullet) I noticed that the Hodgdon website and the Lee manual had the same information from starting to maximum loads down to the 0.1 grain. For example, IMR 4895 is 26.0 start and 27.8 for both, same for BLC(2), Benchmark, and H335. I then went to 22-250 Remington (52 grain bullet), and 300 Win Mag (180 grain bullet) which I also reload for and noticed the same phenomenon. As a QA/QC I looked at the 338 Win Mag (200 grain bullet) and noticed the same thing; even the velocities are the same for each load.

Seems strange unless Hodgdon and Lee use the same test equipment and bullets that the loads would be identical.

Any thoughts?

Lee doesn't develop any data of their own, they just use others.

After reading the comments I went back and in the Acknowledgement [(ii) and (iii)] sections of the manual, Lee references load information compiled from major powder manufacturers. The Lee manual was the last one that I had purchased and prior reloading was done without it as a reference. Thanks to all that commented.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.