Reloading Manuals - Most Accurate Load Data - Really?

Muddyboots

I have found that the most accurate load data in a manual is like sitting next to a deer crossing sign on a highway and killing a big buck. So has anyone really found the Most Accurate load data was really that for them? Or have you killed a nice buck behind a deer crossing sign?

I pay no attention to what was their most accurate load. I need to find my most accurate. Never killed a buck behind a deer crossing sign, but years ago we were hunting elk and a member of our group went back to sit in the open Jeep, windshield down, for lunch. A 5 point bull rand down the hill and stopped right in front of the Jeep. My friend shot it sitting in the passenger seat with lunch in his lap. Easy pack out!

I have found a couple of most accurate loads from both the Sierra and Nosler manuals to be excellent loads.
I actually didn't shoot the deer but did tell a friend where a big Mule deer was crossing just past the deer crossing signs and he killed him two days later after he crossed right there. So yes to both.

There are simply too many variations in rifles and reloading components to have the manual most accurate load to be the same in your rifle.

The easiest rifle I ever "tuned" to get tight groups was a Winchester M70 .270 with BOSS. With just three adjustments of the BOSS the groups shrank to 1/2 inch at 100 yards. And the funny part was these loads were midrange loads to just get the rifle on the paper at 100 yards. And I had planned to use workup loads the next time out to the range with the fire formed brass.

cq5dam.web.835.835.jpeg

Yes the BOSS was a great idea but the vented end killed it as most people and all outfitters hate brakes. The non vented end worked great and that been it, we could still buy BOSS rifles. My wife's BAR would drop 3 in 3/4" w/factory 180 Silvertips. My Browning A-Bolt 22-250 would shoot 5 in a dime w/WRA white box ammo. Shame it's gone.

Still nice used ones. 3X wood here ! https://www.gunbroker.com/item/866470251

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.