Salmon Idaho

I have spent a bit of time there.
Check out the local museum and the Elmer Keith exhibit at one of the downtown shops. The big supermarket has the best deal on Huge ice cream cones. Hunting and fishing in the area is top notch.

In the summer, the town is a tourist trap. In the fall it is over run with out of state hunters and jackasses from california who think it is cool to hunt in Gucciflauge and drive Hummers with horse trailers full of llamas.

There is one hell of a lot of western history in the area. I have rodeoed throughout the area when I was in college and there are some fine lookin' ranchers daughters in the area. The land prices have sky rocketed due to out of state rich folk buying up every scrap of decent land to build their huge log cabin second homes on. The place has changed from its ranching roots.

Bob;
I'm not from there, but spend about 5 to 6 weeks a year in the area hunting and fishing. I have lived in Nebraska three different times, so may be able to give you some information. What exactly are you interested in?
Up side for guys hanging around this forum is that you are in the center of some great hunting and fishing. The steelhead fishing can be great at times. You are close to the borders of two of Idaho's largest wilderness areas. We have been elk hunting that area for about 35 years and it is not unusual to see elk, deer, bear, goat and Big Horn Sheep during the hunt.
The down side for the wife is that the closest place to go shopping outside of Salmon is Idaho Falls to the south-east, Missoula to the North, and Ketchum to the south, all least a three hour drive one way, and all over some mountain passes that get exciting in the winter time.
I haven't looked at property prices, so can't comment on that. Anything on the river or in the mountains will be high though. One other thing, Salmon is not that high in elevation, and so the winters are a little more mild. I would not locate near the river. Every so often the river plugs with ice in the Deadwater area, and everything floods back to Salmon. It is some pretty wild and scenic country. Hope this helps.
brassbender

I live a ways north of there but know the area. There are some very cool things to do around there: hot springs in the woods, river trips on many whitewater rivers, lots of big game and reasonable out of state hunting license fees. The coolest thing to do down there is to float one of the many rivers in a driftbat and fish while also chukkar hunting from the boat. Cast and blast at it's finest. The Sawtooth mountains are amazing and undervisited. There are plenty of great rivers to fish, which is what usually brings me down there. Are you thinking about a move?

Thanks for the info folks. Yes Troutslayer we (my family) are thinking of moving to Salmon. We currently live in Chadron Nebraska, it's a nice place but it's honestly not where I want to spend the rest of my life or raise my daughter (6 months old today). The hunting is o.k. but if you want to go fishing, well, theres always fish sticks. We had been considering Wyoming but the wife seems to like Idaho better. We'll more than likely check out Salmon later this year or early next year.

I have spent some time there. Killed my first elk near there, actually closer to Chalis but same gen area. Grew up in Idaho and love the high desert. I currently live about halfway between Salmon and Missoula. I guess it depends what you are looking for. If you like duck hunting it doesn't get much better than southern Idaho. Deer and Elk are there as well and I don't know about the current antelope situation, used to be quite a few but Wyo probably has the best population though eastern Montana has lots. Idaho taxes are higher than Wyo (I think), and the population is higher. Idaho was a great place to grow up. Personaly I think Idaho, Wyoming and Montana are all toss ups as to the best. I like somethings better in each and would not hesitate to live in any of them. There are some regulars here that live in Idaho from southern to northern portions of the state they can give you the current scoop.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.