Record salmon caught yesterday

Fished out of Fairhaven 3 years ago. Light chop when we went out, turned into 10' swells. The skipper and I were OK, but the other two got sick and that ended the day.
Ontario is cold when the wind picks up!

The photos of the record fish did not do it any justice at all. But weighed on certified scale and verified by the MIDNR Lake Michigan basin biologist as new record so I am confident. I have had a couple fish on this year that I could not do anything with them. One took out over 500' of 20# Big Game line before I could turn it. I use 8 1/2 Med Heavy Ugly Stick trolling rods that have backbone and Saltist reels that have great drags. I believe that fish was high in 30's easily. Had him on for about 20 minutes when hook pulled out. They have such hard mouths, it can be tough to keep a good hookset in them. I even change lures trebles out to Gamagatsu high quality hooks for that reason. Another fish buried my rod so hard in the downrigger rodholder, it was darn near impossible to pull rod out of the rodholder! Hooks pulled in about 5 minutes on that one. Some days it can be tough to land them.

The photos of the record fish did not do it any justice at all. But weighed on certified scale and verified by the MIDNR Lake Michigan basin biologist as new record so I am confident. I have had a couple fish on this year that I could not do anything with them. One took out over 500' of 20# Big Game line before I could turn it. I use 8 1/2 Med Heavy Ugly Stick trolling rods that have backbone and Saltist reels that have great drags. I believe that fish was high in 30's easily. Had him on for about 20 minutes when hook pulled out. They have such hard mouths, it can be tough to keep a good hookset in them. I even change lures trebles out to Gamagatsu high quality hooks for that reason. Another fish buried my rod so hard in the downrigger rodholder, it was darn near impossible to pull rod out of the rodholder! Hooks pulled in about 5 minutes on that one. Some days it can be tough to land them.
Try some of the Owner STX-45 Zo Wire Trebles. Owner is one of the companies that we represent.

BTW trolling right now. Worked on boat so needed to test drive it for run up north. Set rigger down took two steps and had king on! 1/3 so far.
C05EA9FC-13FE-4823-81A4-E284982F578F.jpeg

Wow, that's real deep. Around Holland we fish from 50-100 down, but maybe not on the right depth?

I was just up a Sleeping Bear Dunes a weekend ago to show that to my brother visiting from Texas. He wanted to do the $3000 rescue but I told him no, that's for 8 year olds.:)